Sign in to follow this  

Which pit bike to buy? SSR? DX3?

I've been thinking about getting a pit bike lately to ride around on. I don't do too much offroad, so I won't ride the bike that much, and when I do, it won't see anything to extreme except little jumps with like 2 feet of air haha

Anyways, I've been looking at SSR bikes. Are they reliable? The main thing I'm looking for is reliability, then price...I'm worryed about buying a China POS, that won't last a week, and I don't want the motor to blow up on me or tranny to get messed up.

anyways, heres the 2 I'm looking at buying

http://www.xtpowersports.com/Intermediate+Series.1.1.224.1006.html

http://www.sgr-usa.com/product_info.php?products_id=493&osCsid=924b6d741d9aaf964260491b44f68b4c

Are those 2 reliable? I am 5' 11" and weigh 180ish pounds. Will those pull me okay, or will I need a bigger motor?

How fast will both of them go?

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.

I got the DX3 from xtpowersports also. I cant say much about speed but I would guess around 40. Quality and reliability is pretty good for China but not quite Honda, Yahmaha etc. Overall its a pretty nice bike for money. Any more?

Is it really powerful, or slow?

How reliable is it? I hope you don't have to tune the carb every time you ride.

This bike won't leave me stranded will it?

Is it really powerful, or slow?

How reliable is it? I hope you don't have to tune the carb every time you ride.

This bike won't leave me stranded will it?

For what u are going to use it for, it is plenty powerful. Ist and 2nd gear has a lot of torque. 3rd and 4th have less but its enough. Like I said, Im guessing 40mph, but I havent clocked it yet. A lot of people seem to be having problems with chinese pit bikes but mine has been reliable with no problems yet. It might seem like you have transmission problems at first but you just have to break it in. As for the carb, I have not tuned the carb yet but I might have to tweak it a little bit after getting it out from winter storage. I just keep on truckin'.:) LOL

Thanks for the help.

Would I be able to ride this at a local bike trail that is huge and wide? (a dirt bike or ATV would ride fine through there)

Where can I ride it legally? The last thing I want to happen is to spend $600+ only to get stopped by cops and have to end up selling it for $200 on CL if I'm lucky. I'm in bradenton, FL if that helps.

Sorry for all the questions, I just have had bad experiences with motor vehicles in the past they all break down no matter how much I maintain them. (China crap) This is a big investment for a 16 year old I've repaired bicycles for a while saving up for a dirt bike, I just want it to last.

I dont know for sure where you can ride it but im guessing you cant ride it on a bicycle trail. Up here in MN the only place you can drive OHV motorcycles(dirt bikes) legally is on private land or OHV specified trails and you still need to get it registered by the DNR. You would have to check with your local DNR on where you can ride it. Just ask me and ill answer if I can.

Well, turns out theres no where here I can ride legally, without traveling 35+ miles.

Can I ride it on the street then, or will the tires go bad quick? If not I think I will just get an X18 pocket bike

You can ride it on your private land legally. If you dont have land or you live in the city than you can ride it at your friends land or any other privately owned land. One thing I know is that you cant ride it on the street unless you can get some sort of special permit. If I were you I wouldnt get the pocket bike,because pit bikes have WAY more potential than pocket bikes. If you cant get a pit bike, I would wait until you can or save money for something better that you can use in your area.

I don't plan on modded which ever one I get, since I'm not racing or anything, I'm just looking for reliability at a good price. (w/o spending a lot)