Sign in to follow this  

my dad broke his collarbone

my dad broke his collarbone sunday in new mexico(riding a 525exc with a reluse). how long of a recovery is he looking out?

26 weeks. 20 weeks waiting on it to heal by itself +6 weeks post surgery with Dr. Mark.

Or maybe 6 weeks if it heals on it's own.

Every break and everyone is different.

No smoking. No ibuprofen. Extra calcium and vitamin D.

Post an X-ray.

26 weeks. 20 weeks waiting on it to heal by itself +6 weeks post surgery with Dr. Mark.

Or maybe 6 weeks if it heals on it's own.

Every break and everyone is different.

No smoking. No ibuprofen. Extra calcium and vitamin D.

Post an X-ray.

ill try to post some up

him not smoking yah rite

ill try to post some up

him not smoking yah rite

Smoking has a negative effect on healing of bones...If he wants it to heal in a timely manner and effectively with no issues...then he is fighting against his own body to heal itself...makes it an uphill battle from the start.

I waited 4 1/2 months for mine to heal then had Dr Mark put in a plate. I was riding in the dirt 7 weeks later...and now after 1 yr better than new...

Scotty J.

Hopefully all fracture patients who smoke will skip my clinic.

I am in 4th week post op. I am not healing that fast and i think it will be a while before i am riding. Dr Mark did not do my surgery. I have heard that Ibuprofen is not good for bone healing, is that true? I have stuck with Tylenol for pain. I am experiencing some numbness in my hands and fingers that may indicate some nerve damage. Of course the muscles around it (deltoid, pec, trap) are all shrinking like mad. It feels like there is a nerve disconnect to allow me to "fire" the muscles to move. Im trying to be positive but i dont have great expectations for a fast recovery at this point. Im sure i will get better, but not for a while.

OnePunch...if you have tingly fingers and muscle atrophy I would say you need it looked at....After my surgery I did not have any of those problems and I could raise my arm above my head the next morning...

I think your surgeon might have messed something up...I am no doctor and do not want to alarm you...but sounds fishy to me..

Scotty J.

Onepunch, I had a burning numbness in my fingers. Dr Mark said it was a pinched radial plexis nerve and once he fixed the broken bone, the feeling came back in my hand.

Basically, the 2 pices of bone were compressing the nerve and cutting off signal through the nerve. Maybe Dr mark can explain this better, but my point is that you need to go see Dr mark and get proper treatment ASAP.

Good luck. :)

i broke mine about 5 weeks ago now no surgery though. At first i had numbness in my hand, my trap peck and delts were gone and couldnt pick my arm up or anything. Now 5 weeks later the numbness is gone and i can move my shoulder just fine as i have been doing some small exercises but my muslces are still weak since i cant do anything to help that yet. I still have pain in my shoulder but i feel like it will go away when i can get back to my normal life. i go monday for an xray and hope its almost done healing but who knows. I just found out today that a 45 year old guy i know broke his in basicaly the same spot as me 2 days before i did it and i was watching him ride today and even though he said he didnt get cleared yet with the doc. But i dont feel i can ride yet so who knows how someone thats over 20 years older is healed and riding, ha go figure

I had some numbness in my finger tips post op, but its mosty gone now except for the pad of my thumb. I really don't notice it much. The doc said its from the swelling and trauma and will subside. Grip strength was never affected. Prior to this, with the bone refractured and displaced, I had PAIN in my arm when I moved it across my chest. This was instantly gone post op. Not much muscle atrophy in the shoulder. I did loose some muscle in the arm from not using it hard but got it back fast just doing the rehab exercises with some light weights. Mine was a bit of a mess though and I'm on a more limited activity allowance than average.