New guy with '09 WR450 Hello!

Hello everyone. I have been lurking for a while and decided to join. I just recently purchased an '09 WR450. My last 2 wheeler was a YZ490. I have been on 4 wheels for the last 5 years. I initially thought my dealer de-tuned or governed the bike so I wouldn't kill myself before my check cleared. But after my first dissapointing ride/ break in, I found out on the internet that these bikes come like this. Crazyness

I am trying to decide if I should tear into this thing myself or just take it to the shop and have them perform the throttle stop mod, jetting, grey wire,etc when I take it to have the valves checked.

Let me know what you guys think - Art

I just purchased the same bike / year 2 weeks ago and I did all the mods myself. It is not that hard but it is time consuming so the dealer will charge you a small fortune. I did everything this Saturday, full exhaust, bark busters, jetted the carb (leak jet too), external fuel adjustment, grey wire, and AIS removal. Now this bike hauls butt.

Why oh why don't dealers (salespeople) at least tell people about this? I mean, I've heard some dealers do the mods free of charge, while most dealers don't even mention them.

Seems odd.

I wonder if there is any sap out there that has been riding their 450 for a few years and having no clue.

Well, since you're not new to bikes I'd say go for it! do the mods yourself. They are not hard to do, and you'll get to know your bike much better and sooner. Doing the free mods will get you familiar with the bike and will make future maintenance much easier and less intimidating to do on your own. This forum is a GREAT resource, any question you might have about the bike, you have a better chance of getting it answered here than at most dealership shops. Do the free mods, and you'll be familiar enough with the bike when the time comes to check the valves. The shop will charge a fortune per hour of labor, it's much easier to buy yourself a six pack of whatever you like, read the owner's manual, and ask questions here. It helps a lot to read this forum, read the stickies and FAQ's, and ask questions when in doubt. Congratulations on your new bike. Get it uncorked and you'll be extremely happy with it.

Thanks for the help everyone. I did the throttle stop and pea shooter today. Wow what a difference! I only had time to ride it around my house(2nd gear)but I can tell that it is acting more like a 450 now. I need to do some work on the suspension now. the rear is way too soft. Do you think that Ican get away with just using a heavier spring? Who do you recomend? I will wait to do the grey wire until I rejet and that will be when I do the rear suspension. Thanks again!

Why oh why don't dealers (salespeople) at least tell people about this? I mean, I've heard some dealers do the mods free of charge, while most dealers don't even mention them.

Seems odd.

I wonder if there is any sap out there that has been riding their 450 for a few years and having no clue.

I agree totally, but I'm lucky in the city I live in. They sell WR450s with the different throttle stop and semi-derestrict the pea shooter, as well as jet it on the richer side ready for the way it's supposed to run from the factory. That's how they sell them off the show room floor. It's like it's part of the prep work they do when they take them out of the crates when they arrive. No charging for it or anything.

Most average people wouldn't even know the mods need to be done here, as they've already been done.

They just get the bike like that. We're lucky here I guess.

Dang must be a utah thing I picked up my 09 WR450 last week. After a few trips and tunning the front forks it didnt seem to act like it was going to wash out the front end every time I dove into a corner. I think over all it is a great bike. Plans to go to the oregon coast for a 9 day single track ride with a few friends. Cant wait to see if they can keep up with the WR