Sign in to follow this  

Finally rode it

I finally got to ride my new to me 07 250xc. Very pleased with this scooter. I wanted an xc-w and settled for the xc because of the price that I got. Well, I think this is the right choice for me. The suspension is sprung and valved. The gearing is great although a sixth gear would be fantastic, but the spacing is perfect. I found myself thinking that if the gears were gapped more then it might be hard to find the right gear for an application. The closer step into the next gear makes the transition easy, it seem like you are almost never in the wrong gear. On some of the long loose gravel climbs I could hold second gear and maintain traction. If the gears would have been gapped more then it would be hard to maintain the same power when moving to the next gear. What I liked too was that all of the gears are usable and 1st was low enough for about anything I need. The suspension is firm but not abusive... I was riding a cr250 so the xc seemed more forgiving although Ive heard some say the xc is brutal. I liked it but a little better top end would be welcome. I was able to squeeze 70 mph with stock 14/50 gears. The power delivery is another delight. Although the cr had more peak power, it comes on late and hard and therefore loose traction in the loose stuff. The xc is strong and steady and holds traction well for a 2t. Sorry for the long ramble but was excited about the ride today. We are having incredible weather here and to ride in the mountains at 8000 feet in march was a pleasure. Anyway, I love my KTM and wanted to share.

Fine tune the jetting. It will scream has loud or louder than the CR.

Ar you ridding tight single track? I was thinking I wanted the closer gear box, but right now second/third for single track and first is the "bail out" gear. Just wondering.

Ar you ridding tight single track? I was thinking I wanted the closer gear box, but right now second/third for single track and first is the "bail out" gear. Just wondering.

Yes, I was riding single track. To be honest, I think a lower 1st gear would be a waste. I felt like I had options in the gears. Not to gappy and could maintain a steady pull.

Fine tune the jetting. It will scream has loud or louder than the CR.

I think I've got the jetting pretty good. By design this motor pulls better on the bottom and less on top. You've got to give a little to get a little. I was also very pleased with the mileage. I was at a good pace, not really race pace, but still moving, and I did a 45 mile loop on a little less than 1.5 gallons. That puts my total range at 80 to 90 miles at a trail pace.