Sign in to follow this  

Wtat the ????

So finally my son and I got out to play in the dirt yesterday. He on his JR80 and I on the RM250. He was riding hard, as usual, and I was trying to keep up and get it all on the helmet camera. :)

Then his bike died. :banghead: It has done this before. It even decided to stick WFO once. It would idle all day, but crack the throttle and blah.... dead. In the past it has cleared itself by laying on it's side, playing with the fuel petcock, talking nicely, etc.. Yesterday it decided to clear by using the choke half way open. Then it was good to go. More hard riding and it happened again. It only would do this after he was riding hard. I figured it must be fuel related and started troubleshooting.

Drained tank into a coffee filter and found no real problems.

Fuel filter was cleaned. Line good to go.

Drained bowl and a piece of orange rubber appeared in filter.

Pulled carb and unscrewed top cap. Immediately noticed a bunch of small orange colored bits of rubber on slide. That would cause it to stick.

Looked at top cap and saw a mangled rubber washer stuck inside. :banghead: Nothing in shop manual so I called dealer and inquired. Nope, nothing in parts fiche either. He mentioned if it was part of the top cap I'd need to buy a whole assembly. :p So I started thinking and ran down to hardware store. I found the exact washer is for garden hose ends. By now I wasn't so sure it was even supposed to be in there. The o-ring in cap is intact, but bought a washers few anyway, they always get lost around here. Called my buddy for his input on my scenario. His reply. Home made throttle stop. Yup, made sense. A 1/4" rubber washer stopping the slide from going to full throttle. I guess the prior owner decided he didn't want his kid going all out. Every time my son hit WOT, it would pull the slide into the washer and break a piece off. that would fall down and clog something up before being drained out.

Cleaned out jets, put carb back together and fired it up. It sounds like a whole different bike. :foul:

I can't wait to see my sons face when he cracks it open and finds so much more!

It was just so insane I had to share!

He's gonna love it.

I took the limiter screw out of my boy's PW Sunday, but didn't tell him. First time he got on the bike and pinned it the look on his face was priceless

Hmm, now if only I would have thought of something like that when I needed it.

Somebody should have taken it out before selling the bike, or at least warned you about it. Ah well, the things you forget.

:) great troubleshooting. I would never of thought of anyone using that for a throttle limiter. Interesting.

It makes perfect sense though, if it fits, you can add more if needed and it won't slam when it tops out.

The only problem is when he does crank the throttle hard the slide hits it. After a while, and with the gas working on it, it begins to deteriorate.

The little rubber pieces that don't wedge between the slide and tube(causing throttle to stick wide open) clog the jets.

It may be easier to rotate the throttle assembly back on bar so wide open would be next to impossible with a normal hand position?

Maybe, but then that interferes with the kill-switch position relative to the rider's hand.

I was thinking the hose-washer as a throttle stop for a temporary measure, like a throttle screw.

If it does slam the top, why not use a normal O-ring that's designed for use around gasoline, like the ones in your carb? It will be thinner and much more durable.

Maybe, but then that interferes with the kill-switch position relative to the rider's hand.

I was thinking the hose-washer as a throttle stop for a temporary measure, like a throttle screw.

If it does slam the top, why not use a normal O-ring that's designed for use around gasoline, like the ones in your carb? It will be thinner and much more durable.

On the JR80, the kill switch is on the left. I think the washer idea was pretty good. I never would have known it was in there had it not started causing problems.

Thomas, my son, is liking the wide open position now even more. I may need to put the washer back in there! :)