Sign in to follow this  

Efi Problem

Guys, I sent my suspension out and when I went to put it back on I noticed there was a sensor in the airbox for the efi and the wires had pulled out of the connector. I plugged them back in but when I started the bike the indicator/kill button flashes. It flashes 9 times which indicates that there is/was a problem with that sensor but the bike runs fine. I'm supposed to go riding tomorrow My question is, is it like a car where if you have a check engine light on but the problem is corrected you either have to have it reset, or drive it unitl it clears? Or is there still a problem? I want my carb back. Thanks.

This is the intake air temperature sensor, without this sensor the ECM won't be able to determine the temperature of the air entering the throttle body and adjust the fuel accordingly. Not sure how sophisticated the EFI control system is, but it probably defaults to a fixed temperature or uses the last known good when it determines the sensor is out of range.

Either way I wouldn't expect it to run very well at varying conditions, either too rich or lean depending on air temp.

Not sure on the reset issue.

Yeah, I'm not sure what to do at this point. I guess I'll call the dealer today and see what they think. I've tried unplugging and switching the wires but still have no luck. Thanks guys.

You can get the proper wire terminals and repair it, I doubt Honda sells the loose terminal pins though, just have to find out who makes the connector and terminals. Hope they don't want you to replace the wiring harness.

Yep. I suspect that this won't be the first. I picked up my '09 and then rapidly yet carefully took things apart to get the suspension off and also to perform a top-to-bottom lube. The EFI adds a layer of complexity to assembly and disassembly - probably no worse than a KXF or RMZ - but certainly more than the carb bike. Lots of wire/connections/controls/electrical tape/rubber covers - be careful!

I don't know what a wiring harness would cost but even trying to snake that thing through the right spots looks like a chore. I would try go do a reconnect of connector - hard to lose on that approach other than some time.

I does not seem that the OEM parts allow for any piece-meal approach to the wiring harness. All one assembly for MSRP of $195!

Okay, I talked to the Honda dealer and also went to ronnies.com and looked at the fiche. The dealer said that I would need to replace the sensor. He said it will run the way that it is, but will default to a rich setting. If you look at the microfiche under air filter it looks like number 20 is the part I need. What do you guys think?

http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=849056&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2009&fveh=22936

I don't think so - it sounds like you pulled the wires out of the connector that attaches TO the sensor. NO wires are attached to the sensor. I just looked at mine.

See the Wiring Harness section of the fiche - the connector at the right hand slide - lower right corner of part 6. That is your problem - correct? I'd try to repair before ordering a new harness.

Hey guys, just to follow up....I got it working. I didn't have the wires in the plug far enough. All is good now. Thanks for the help!