2000 to 2006 YZ250.

Okay guys need some opinions. Going to go look at a 06 yz250 this weekend. I know the motor isn't a whole lot different from my 2000, but what am i looking at out of the chassis and Suspension?

last bike in an aluminum frame i rode was a 05 yz250 and a 06 yz450f. i didn't like the 05 cause it was really stiff feeling, but i guess the 06 got a revised swingarm to aid in the tracking of the bike?

the 06 also comes with the SSS forks and 18mm shock shaft correct? Anyone else come from a steel framed yz to an aluminum tell me what i'd be expecting? or am i going to need to find out the hard way by putting in a few laps (which i have no issues with at all ? )

BTW: the 2000 has been fully built up by me, including re valved and sprung for my weight. ported, decked the head, VF3's, PC Platinum exhaust w/ R304 silencer, Universal engineering triple clamps and pro taper bars to name a few.

really to make it simple, is there going to be a night and day difference in this bike compared to my 2000, or am i really just loosing the weight and gaining more usable (linear) power?

also what would be beneficial to the 06? i heard that 07 has a newer needle for the carb? anything else that would help on the MX track besides a re valve for my weight?

it'll be newer fresher and tighter if it is low hours. went from a 04 mint to a 07 mint. not a huge difference but the new pipe in 06 is nice. the fatter needle is on the shelf.

had stock suspension on the 04 and the 07's stock suspension felt better. once revalved and resprung on the 07 of course it's a apples to oranges comparison.

the 07 seem easier to handle?

The front wheel wanders less. Steering is sharper. High speed whooped out trails seem more balanced front to rear but that's also due to the suspension I noted. I don't think it'll be night and day until you tweak the suspension. Tweaked modern suspension vs. your tweaked older suspension and the new stuff wins. It's gotta be a 7 lb. weight difference I would think. In short, it's hard to say that it'd be night and day.

Right now i have a solid bike in the 2000, built specifically for my riding style. but i also know that i could build a damn good race bike off the aluminum frame and SSS suspension.

just wonder how much money it would take lol don't want to end up with 2 bikes with over 1k into them in aftermarket parts and such to just be competitive with the 450's in the straights.

My experience with 06 vs 02 suspension (both revalved):

MX:

-The 02 soaks up the smaller chatter better

-The 06 has better bottoming resistance on hard hits, and a bit better feedback. You feel like you can push the 06 suspension harder before you reach it's limits.

Off-Road (Rocky, loose terrain):

-The valved 02 suspension works maybe a little bit better here, as it seems to soak up the smaller bumps better and deflect less.

-The 06 forks are good still, but have a different feel. You have to ride more aggressively to have them feel in their element.

Both forks are valved for MX, so I can't comment on how an 06 fork setup for Off-Road would work. Also, the valving in both forks is different, so I guess this may not be a 100% fair comparison of the two forks.

The steel frame vibrates less and seems to be a little more forgiving on the trails.

You will find that the 06 motor is a little more zippy than your 2000.

Comming off my 01 to the 06 you can really feel the difference in weight just by picking it up of the Kickstand. The tip weight is greatly reduced. I originally used the 01 suspension on the 06 frame and there was no difference in harshness, The ali frame is a little more precise in the steering department also.

Good luck with the new ride you will like it.