Sign in to follow this  

Flywheel Problems

Put a 13oz flywheel on my 06 450 and know the bike has a glitch. It runs for a couple of minutes fine, then it starts to sputter and then quits. It starts with one kick and runs awhile then quits again. I went thru the carb and check the flywheel again but everything was right. I'm at total loss, all was good before I mess with it.

Any help would be great...........:)

If the flywheel you installed is a "lighting" type flywheel, you could have problems. The lighting type has a stronger magnetic field and messes with the stock stator. I havent run into this problem myself but I read about it here on TT somewhere.

Put a 13oz flywheel on my 06 450 and know the bike has a glitch. It runs for a couple of minutes fine, then it starts to sputter and then quits. It starts with one kick and runs awhile then quits again. I went thru the carb and check the flywheel again but everything was right. I'm at total loss, all was good before I mess with it.

Any help would be great...........:)

I found this post by searching for "flywheel problem"...

Link: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376071

If you don't have a stator rewound for lighting the make sure the flywheel you use has an L in the part number (no extra strong magnets for lighting). My bike was cutting out at medium to high revs because the extra strong magnets were overloading the CDI unit. Trailtech will exchange the flywheel at no charge for the non lighting (L in part number) version. Also the +13 oz. version requires the case and the two solder connections at the pickup coil to be filed down.