Sign in to follow this  

2 Stroke Vs 4 Stroke for multi day trips

Hello,

I call upon all the experience of all you enduro riders out there to help me with my dilemma.

I was an avid ride when I was younger (that being 16-18, currently 21 so I guess I'm still youngish). I road 2 stroke mainly CR 80 and KX 125. I enjoyed these bikes as they were light and quick. The 80 is out of the question but I'm seriously considering getting another 125.

Here is the thing, my brother and I are contemplating doing a long multi day trip. It would be about 1200 km. Now before everyone tells me off for considering this here me out. I would spend about 1000 dollars to replace the tank, tires, light etc. I also would have no problem changing the rings once or twice along the way. But I can not deny the fact that four strokes seem to be the more popular choice as they have lower maintenance and tend to be more reliable. I would probably get a four stroke if I was planing many of these trips but I'm not. The riding is mainly all trail and dirt roads, there is one section of highway for about 250 km where i would potentially change the sprocket on the bike.

Please make suggestions keeping in mind that I also plan to keep this bike after. I would be reverting to my short day trips around the local trails and what have you, also I what it to be very light.

THanks Rocky

Yes I realize that 2 bikes would be ideal, but I am still in university and i think that may be stretching it a little thin. I mean I could buy one then sell it after the ride, and get the 2 stroke, but I don't know why I just think I would like to use a 2 stroke. I'm was just hoping that someone may have had experience with this. I don't have the money for a new four stroke and don't have much Idea the difference in suspension between (for example the) XR 250 or 400 and CR's. I believe the CR must have better suspension for racing or they wouldn't race them, but when it comes to trails and things are the XR's designed better for handling in the woods, or is it just for comfort. Would the CR handle just as well?

I realize this is a very opinionated thing but I think that is all I'm looking for just some good strong opinions with experience.

Thanks again for your time.

Note I'm not looking at only Honda I just used that as an example.

Hello,

I call upon all the experience of all you enduro riders out there to help me with my dilemma.

I was an avid ride when I was younger (that being 16-18, currently 21 so I guess I'm still youngish). I road 2 stroke mainly CR 80 and KX 125. I enjoyed these bikes as they were light and quick. The 80 is out of the question but I'm seriously considering getting another 125.

Here is the thing, my brother and I are contemplating doing a long multi day trip. It would be about 1200 km. Now before everyone tells me off for considering this here me out. I would spend about 1000 dollars to replace the tank, tires, light etc. I also would have no problem changing the rings once or twice along the way. But I can not deny the fact that four strokes seem to be the more popular choice as they have lower maintenance and tend to be more reliable. I would probably get a four stroke if I was planing many of these trips but I'm not. The riding is mainly all trail and dirt roads, there is one section of highway for about 250 km where i would potentially change the sprocket on the bike.

Please make suggestions keeping in mind that I also plan to keep this bike after. I would be reverting to my short day trips around the local trails and what have you, also I what it to be very light.

THanks Rocky

:) You dont have to adjust valves, or timing chains, etc. on a 2 stroke, and I dont think 4 strokes are any more reliable than 2 strokers (In fact, pretty sure they're less reliable) But then again, maintainance plays a big part in that too.

The older 4 strokes are more reliable than a 2 stroke but the newer high reving 4 strokes are junk when it come to maintenance...

If it were up to me I would buy a xr 250 or 400 for the trip then sell it after... or probably just keep it because 2 strokes are crap for some types of trail riding.....

hows that for an opinion:thumbsup:

Great opinions. I here you about the XR's from what i hear they have a lot more torque which i'm sure is great in the trails where things are going pretty slow. How about bikes like the KDX and KLX?

Sorry I think this should be in what bike to buy, If some one could move it then that would be great.

I would look at the KTM RFS 4 stroke, the DRZ, XR, WR, it sounds like you will have more dual sport than anything else. But if it is more single track then I would look at the 2 strokes. CJ

i'd say like a DRZ or XR 400... they should be pretty bullet proof for you and not give you any major issues. I know an XR wouldn't give u any problems over a trip like that.

Again 4 strokes is what I was thinking would be the answer. But there is just something in my mind that make me what to do it on a 125 2 stroke.

Maybe the trip is not just about going from point a to b and seeing all the sights. I know a lot of it will probably not be super technical as it will mainly be on dirt roads etc. so having the added challenge of the small 125 is what I'm looking for. I think I may be answering my own question here.

With the 250 2 strokes, do they tend to have better reliability then 125s?

Any other Ideas?

The best all around trail bike out there is the XR400 (pick a year). They've been around for decades (practically), and are ROCK SOLID. My buddy owned 3 XRs at one point.

Just about any modern 4 stroke should be reliable enough, provided you're not bouncing off the rev limiter the whole time...

Again 4 strokes is what I was thinking would be the answer. But there is just something in my mind that make me what to do it on a 125 2 stroke.

Maybe the trip is not just about going from point a to b and seeing all the sights. I know a lot of it will probably not be super technical as it will mainly be on dirt roads etc. so having the added challenge of the small 125 is what I'm looking for. I think I may be answering my own question here.

With the 250 2 strokes, do they tend to have better reliability then 125s?

Any other Ideas?

riding a 125 on open dirt roads won't be any "harder" than riding a 250, 400, 650, or 1200cc bike. A dirt road is a dirt road. What would make it harder is trying to ride the bike backwards or something...

I realize that ride on a road is riding on a road but I guess what I was referring to is I would have to watch what gear I take, when technical things did come it would be more difficult.

Very true, riding the bike back wards would be quite a challenge. I will have to consider this for a different trip.

Don't get me wrong I am a die hard 2 stroke fan. However the thing that I hate doing the most on my 2 stroke bikes is long stents in 5th gear at close to top speed. Most two strokes I have riden are designed for performance under throttle. I hate the way a two stroke feels when you hold it at steady throttle for long periods of time going down a road. It just feels like it needs to be under a load. Also a 125 smoker is going to have a close ratio gear box. If you gear it high enough to run good on the road, then you will be hurting in the woods with the tall gear. There is absolutely nothing I would rather ride then a smoker in the woods, but if I was going to be seeing very much road time then my vote would be the XR.

Jemery Thanks for the comment, There would be one section where I would be planning on changin the sprocket as there it would be a long road.

You seem to Like to set up two stroked for the woods. It seems like you use 250 though, besides for the obvious added power are they a lot better or is that the only addition.

Yes it is mainly a power thing. The YZ 125 is almost the same bike with a smaller motor. I have my bikes set up with alot of low end grunt and it is hard to get that from a 125. Not a big deal, but you have to ride it alot different. The 250 power has pulled me out of some hairy situations on steep hills, where a 125 would have stalled out. As far as reliability goes a 2 stroke is hard to beat if you get one that was well taken care of. I have a friend that is 6'5" and weighs 280 lbs. He rides an 03 KX 125. He takes that thing up hills that I wouldn't even want to touch. He has it maxed out on r.p.m.'s all day long and it has been rock solid. If you are willing to do a sprocket change during the trip then it really comes down to what type of bike you like riding or feel comfortable on.

I agree with Jeremy that long stints on boring dirt/bitumen roads just 'feels' wrong on a 2t. It's like it needs some load there.

I own a WR360 and a YZ125WR. I would be fine to do that 1200mile ride on the 360, but wouldn't think about it on the 125.

I'd put my vote in for a DRZ400.