Sign in to follow this  

2001 rm250 gash in reed cage

so i pulled my reeds out today and found out i had a cracked reed, no big deal right? so i went to my local shop and bought some reeds, then i took the reeds of the cage and found that right under where the crack in the reed was, and there was a small gash in the cage, just long enough to make the new reeds not seal correctly,:)

i ordered a new cage and now im out for a week, no riding :banghead:

i was just curious as to what might have caused this, and what can be done to prevent it happening again

this was the first time i pulled them out since i bought the bike so i know i didnt mess em up.

A picture is worth a 1,000 words. Did you happen to place the new reeds ontop of the old ones to see if they were the same size?

Whatever was broken may have continued to flex or part of and gash the cage and not the other way around like when a nascar tire goes flat and shreds and then shreds the fender? The fender didn't mess up the tire, the tire messed up the fender.

I thrashed my reed cage after seizing my engine. Some of the pieces of the shattered piston came back and ate the cage. If this is the case for you, theres not really anything that could of been done. Just bad luck!

Tom

The PO probably screwed something up and you get to reap the benefits.... Post a picture of the cage if you can - inquiring minds want to know! :)

yea apparently he screwed alot of things up (missing seat tab on subframe, big dent in pipe, stripped carb screws, and now this)

but it still is a good bike regardless (i just need to get it running right):)

heres some of the reed and reed cage, the gash is in the upper right hand corner of the right reed (camera phone and bad lighting in the garage) IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

Some tool used a screw driver to pry the reeds off the block thinking they were stiffer or stuck. Or the block was dropped and damaged. I have a few reed blocks from my KX250 that will probably work as the green and yellow bikes are pinched off the same line. You do want a new reed block as that little gash will cause you all kinds of problems. Where in CA do you reside?

• Like 1

Sounds like it may have run for a long time with the cracked reed so the reed may have caused it. If you put the reed on the cage can you flex it into that gash exactly? If it was like that when the reeds were new and just put on it's hard to believe it even ran. It's hard to tell but does it look like something punched into the center of that crack (maybe starting it) in the reed or is that another crack forming horizontally and it's just a reflection?

It was a tool using a tool to pry the reed from the cage. A broken reed will not flex and cause that.

Some tool used a screw driver to pry the reeds off the block thinking they were stiffer or stuck. Or the block was dropped and damaged. I have a few reed blocks from my KX250 that will probably work as the green and yellow bikes are pinched off the same line. You do want a new reed block as that little gash will cause you all kinds of problems. Where in CA do you reside?

ok so im gathering that it wasnt something the bike could do on its own, but the previous owners mishandling, good to know, i already ordered the new cage, but i really appreciate the offer :)

yea the bike ran, but rich as a mo.........er, i had to lean it out just so it would stop fouling plugs.

hopefully after i get the new cage and reeds installed, it will stop sputtering and making a spoogy mess everywhere

It was a tool using a tool to pry the reed from the cage. A broken reed will not flex and cause that.

And how would the reeds be that stuck or that much pressure be needed or used to pry on a plastic reed? You'd literally need a hammer and chisel or screwdriver and pound on it a few times to cause that. Not saying it isn't possible, but I just don't see a situation where the reeds wouldn't move 'easily' enough to require such a beating. Granted, people do stupid stuff, but I just can't see such a scenario.

And how would the reeds be that stuck or that much pressure be needed or used to pry on a plastic reed? You'd literally need a hammer and chisel or screwdriver and pound on it a few times to cause that. Not saying it isn't possible, but I just don't see a situation where the reeds wouldn't move 'easily' enough to require such a beating. Granted, people do stupid stuff, but I just can't see such a scenario.

Pre-mix sitting in the carb and with gravity pulling gas into the carb with it left on over a period of time will leave a thin coat of pre-mix in the intake track. Then as it dries and hardens after the gas evaporates turning to varnish will glue the reeds to the block. Then some tool not knowing any better will use a tool to pry them apart instead of spraying the reed block with carb cleaner to free them.:)

No sheet, huh? Who woulda thought prying on a thin plastic reed is gonna break the cage before the reed, but I guess truth is stranger than fiction and none of us were there at the time?

update: well i got it going again, and it runs great, no sputtering or dogging anywhere, great bike :thumbsup:

thanks for the help fellas:thumbsup: