Sign in to follow this  

306x Race Report

I can confirm there were a lot of whoops... and sand... and rocks... and morons driving on the course (in both directions).

I left the line at 6:06 AM. The first 2 miles were a little hairy because of dust and trash strewn across the road. As soon as the course veered right along the electrical lines, I quickly jumped onto the "alternate line" parallel with the whoops. I had 230 more miles to go so it was important to conserve as much energy as possible. The whoops are certainly faster than the twisty alternate lines if you have the strength and cajones to power through them, but this just wasn't an option for me.

Smooth sailing across Zoo Road. I started to fall into a rhythm and the muscles were finally starting to warm up. 400x, with Myers on board, caught up to me around RM 25. I settled in behind Myers, trying to follow his line and was able to keep pace for about 10 miles before underestimating the size of a branch cutting a corner and it nearly threw me to the ground. I pulled through, but 400x pulled ahead and I yelled at myself for even trying to keep up with Scott. "Think" was supposed to be a race day mantra.

The last 10 miles or so into the hard left at San Matias were grueling. My calves were super tight and there weren't any lines around the whoops. I had to muscle through. I got to check 1 and I finally had a break from the whoops. I powered through the wash and finally onto Morelia Rd. I don't remember getting passed by anyone up to Morelia Junction, where my buddy was waiting for me in case of any issues. I blew through, upshifted to sixth and flirted with the rev limiter for the next 15-20 miles. 501x flew past me on Morelia Rd. I have no idea how they were going that fast considering all the dust from the jack*ss car chase team heading down the road. I was nearly pinned, but they obviously had better gearing because their KTM shot past me and I simply couldn't keep up.

Pit #2 at RM 109 called for a Cytomax drink mix and energy gel. I was a new man and powered through eventually passing 501x around RM 134. I hammered through the rocks (with the confidence of a mousse bib) leading into Matomi. Matomi is like a crap shoot. Just one week prior it seems I hit every damn hidden rock imaginable, but on race day I don't remember hitting a single rock. I guess I was taking a good line.

Energy wise, I felt great heading into Azufre. I felt smooth and consistent up until I brushed a cholla and within 10 seconds my right wrist and arm were in agonizing pain. I hate cholla and it hates me. I just had to ignore the pain, but I was cursing every cholla I saw from that point on. F you cholla.

Many of my friends were set up to watch the race around RM 163. I got an extra burst of energy and motivation when I saw them just up ahead (along with "Donk" who provided a little extra boost). I blew by, while my friend Token was taking a crap so he didn't get to see me come by. Maybe they weren't expecting me so soon :)

My energy level heading into Azufre was great. I still felt in control and was riding very smooth. I made it to the dreaded left corner where my friend broke his collarbone the prior weekend. I scowled and carried on. I got to the end of Azufre, turned right in the wash and pinned it to Huatamote. The first quad (Matlock) passed me around RM 193. I was kinda disappointed because I had hoped to stay ahead of the quads, but I think this was unrealistic.

I got into Huatamote and my energy level quickly deteriorated. I was really struggling for the next 10 miles, losing a lot of time. A few of the first class 21 bikes passed me along with 301x. Whoever was on 301x at this time is a true sportman. He recognized something wasn't quite right and pulled up next to me to make sure I was OK. I nodded and he carried on. This was really frustrating because I was losing minutes and I just couldn't push myself to regain speed without risking injury. My left arm and wrist also started to get numb.

Somewhere in Huatamote I came across what appeared to be a pretty bad incident with two class 21 bikes. Both bikes were still on the ground and broken. I later learned one of the riders down was Nick Blais who had to be airlifted out. Thankfully, I understand he's going to be OK, but don't know the extent of his injuries. I do know they were able to finish the race with the help of Baja Rudy.

I got to the end of Huatamote and to my final pit at RM 212. I swigged a cytomax mix and my last energy gel and this gave me the boost I needed to get to the finish. I felt like a new man and rode strong through the final stretch of whoops and made my way to much anticipated dirt road heading into the finish. This was honestly one of the hairiest parts of the course because I was pinned at 75-80 mph with cars and trucks driving on either side of the course.

I made the final right turn towards the finish, took it easy over the finish line jump and crossed the finish line. I was offered a RedBull by a jailbait in hot pants. Why would anyone want a RedBull at the END of a race? I wanted a Tecate! A SCORE worker was able to bring a Tecate for me and my buddy and we cheered to a successful race.

306x finished 5th in class 30 with a time of 5:50:13. My first goal was to simply finish (accomplished). My second goal was to place top three in class 30 (perhaps delusional and not accomplished) and my last goal was to be the first ironman by time (I'm pretty sure this was accomplished). It's hard writing a race report from the perspective of a solo racer because there's a lot of "I" instead of "we" but I couldn't have finished this race without the help of TT member WonderMuscle who helped calm my pre-race jitters and chased me up and down Hwy 5. Mag 7 for providing stellar pits as always and all of my friends and Donk down around RM 163. Thanks to all the spectators who provide constant encouragement... it's amazing what a simple clap or cheer can do for someone's determination.

Congratulations to all the finishers, especially all the other solo racers.

That was great! Fantastic race report I felt like I was along for the ride, conrgatulations!!!

Awesome report and great race. I was there at rm 10 cheering on everyone. Boy I rode the first 68 miles on Tuesday just for fun. Lets just say it was pretty tiring.

Nice job :)

Major props to anyone who ironmans that course.

My bud is considering it next year.

I did about half the course without a break one year- almost blew chunks at the finish- I was spent.

Thanks for the report.

Thanks for the report! awesome ride and congrats on the finish.

Justin... thanks for taking the time to write it up... very cool.

... and all the while, your concerned about the "I" in the story. Come on man... give yourself TONS of credit for the feat you just conquered! Boast a little will ya?! HUGE CONGRATS for the accomplishments you set, and for running the race solo. :)

AND... you went out to D38 for the National!

Great race Mancha! I'm stoked you kept your head clear and kept your eye on the finish. It was a great weekend!

You should solo the 500 and 1000. :) I'll chase for you again unless I can iron out a ride....

You should solo the 500 and 1000. :) I'll chase for you again unless I can iron out a ride....

The desire is there, just need that ever important money.