250 x won't idle

I need help, here is what a have: 05x, jd jet kit w/modified air box, k/n filter,RD power shot, stock exhaust w/modified baffle, adjustable fuel screw and leak jet. This is kind of new, it will be sitting idle just fine and for no reason it will cough and die. I've also noticed if I'm riding along with mid rpm's and open it up it will bog down. Bad gas?? Any help, much apreciated.

Dan:bonk:

Drain the fuel as it may be a problem, put a new pilot jet in (even cleaning it sometimes does not work), adjust the fuel screw (there is a sticky somehwere in this site), start with clean air filter, plug etc. Was it running OK with current mods or did it just develop the problem? If it was sitting for a while the carb can become gummed up pretty quick and may need to be cleaned. When my valves went south it was hard to start. It starts easily it still can't hurt to check the clearances. Air leaks cause idle problems too but the one I have had were on two smokes and the idle surged higher. All of my idle problems surrounded the pilot and AS told me to replace it as cleaning sometimes does not help and bingo he was right. Good luck.

Drain the fuel as it may be a problem, put a new pilot jet in (even cleaning it sometimes does not work), adjust the fuel screw (there is a sticky somehwere in this site), start with clean air filter, plug etc. Was it running OK with current mods or did it just develop the problem? If it was sitting for a while the carb can become gummed up pretty quick and may need to be cleaned. When my valves went south it was hard to start. It starts easily it still can't hurt to check the clearances. Air leaks cause idle problems too but the one I have had were on two smokes and the idle surged higher. All of my idle problems surrounded the pilot and AS told me to replace it as cleaning sometimes does not help and bingo he was right. Good luck.

It ran great, it just stopped idleing. When I rode it the other day it was cutting out when I was climbing a hill, getting on the throttle in 2, 3rd. I was wondering if it might be the pilot, then I thought it is bad fuel. It is regular unleaded and I usually run premium.

Has the bike been sitting for long Dan? doesn't take long for that tiny pilot jet to get fouled. Maybe a little water in the bowl or fuel also?

Missed you at the polar bear ride Dan, it was pretty crazy wet snow deep water, we even rode through a abandoned bus!

It ran great, it just stopped idleing. When I rode it the other day it was cutting out when I was climbing a hill, getting on the throttle in 2, 3rd. I was wondering if it might be the pilot, then I thought it is bad fuel. It is regular unleaded and I usually run premium.

I never ran regular gas but I don't think that the low octane alone would stop it from idling. Draining the fuel is the easiest fix though. Maybe a bit of grit got to the pilot ?

I never ran regular gas but I don't think that the low octane alone would stop it from idling. Draining the fuel is the easiest fix though. Maybe a bit of grit got to the pilot ?

Thanks, I will drain the fuel tomorrow. What do you think about a vacuum line leaking...