Sign in to follow this  

xr 600 or 650r?

hey guys,was thinkin about trading up from my xr 600 to a xr650r. how much heavier is the 650 and are they reliable enough for some motocross track work? not interested in 450s want a ballsy reliable roadgoing monster capable of being competative. my xr600 is ok after a stage1 cam and ive got it down to 119kgs dry,but ive heard too much good about the 650r to ignore it anymore. do the radiators break when they get dropped? is it worth upgrading?should i just stick with the 600?

More or less the same weight. At least 25% more power. An uncorked 650R should have more power than your existing 600 even with the cam, etc.

Any water cooled bike can bust a rad in any given drop. It doesn't really happen that often, but it can at any time if you hit it right.

I have to say that in all my years of riding I think I've had the most damage from the bike just falling over when on the kick stand. It's the worst on my concrete driveway. Something always gets screwed up when that happens.

^I second the above post good guards are a must. Also try devol manufacturing they make high quality front/rear rotor guards and some very beefy radiator guards but a bit on the expensive side at 100$

Honda claims the XRR weighs 290ish dry. The power more than makes up for the weight and the reliability is another huge plus because of the extra beef the bike has. Weight is only an issue if your almost creeping along. The radiators can and do split/rupture but are tough, my right radiator is shaped like a halfmoon its so bent but no leaks yet.

Just this week i installed the full HRC kit(cam,piston,ect) The XRR went from being fast to just plain insane.

ahhhh radiatorys are overrated LOL but the R is more bike so its a decision for you if its worth it for the money you may have to fork out for the upgrade