Sign in to follow this  

Wheel/forks alignment. Forks won't budge.

On the '04 KX250 I just picked up the front wheel is of a little bit to the right. I read a bunch of threads about how to fix this. I loosened up the front axle pinch bolts, lower fork tube pinch bolts, and upper fork tube pinch bolts. I tugged and tugged but nothing really moved. I ended up taking off the front wheel. I loosened up the all the fork tube pinch bolts so none of them had pressure on them. The forks still wouldn't spin in the tripple trees. I was expecting to get a little movement out of them.

My question is, do I dare put a flat screwdriver in the slot of the tripple trees to try and spread them a bit to give the fork tubes some room to spin? I've worked on various streetbikes and never really had to do anything like that to move or remove fork tubes. I was going to grab a rubber mallet to pound on them a bit but figured I better ask around first.

I read in the treads that this whole process was a 2 minute fix for the misaligned wheel, but 1/2 hour later I'm left scratching my head.:)

As long as the bolts are loose, you can carefully put a screwdriver in there and very gently apply a little pressure. Gently. Then make sure you are holding onto the fork leg because it will drop. You should not have to pry very hard at all, gently so you don't mark up the clamps is all it takes.

Yes, spread the clamps with a flatblade screwdriver. Get the forks out. Then take the clamps off the bike and buy new ones, yours are most likely twisted. Twisted clamps will cause the misaligned front wheel. Make sure to take 'em off and check 'em.

Yes, spread the clamps with a flatblade screwdriver. Get the forks out. Then take the clamps off the bike and buy new ones, yours are most likely twisted. Twisted clamps will cause the misaligned front wheel. Make sure to take 'em off and check 'em.
Yeah, just tore most of it apart. Took the top Pro Taper clamp off and there was definately some pressure on the tubes. Pulled the tubes out and I can see the bottom clamp it tweaked just a bit. Looks like I'll be getting one of those.

Is Ebay a good souce for a bottom clamp, or where would be a good place to grab one?

Never had a steering stem out of a bike before. Hope it's not to bad.

Another question here. Will a lower triple clamp from a '03 KX125 fit my '04 KX250? When I look them up on the Kawi fiche, the first 5 digit part number is the same but the 4 digit reference numbers are different......44037-1439 for the '03 KX125 and 44037-0007 for the '04 KX250

But then I go to the Pro Taper website and their complete triple clamp kit #02-2831 (stock offset) will fit 03-05 KX125 and 03-07 KX250.

So I'm assuming if there is a difference in the stock lower clamps between the two bikes, it might be a small enough difference that they might work. Am I looking at this wrong?

Yeah, just tore most of it apart. Took the top Pro Taper clamp off and there was definately some pressure on the tubes. Pulled the tubes out and I can see the bottom clamp it tweaked just a bit. Looks like I'll be getting one of those.

Is Ebay a good souce for a bottom clamp, or where would be a good place to grab one?

Never had a steering stem out of a bike before. Hope it's not to bad.

Sorry, I haven't been around, missed your response. Make sure and take both clamps off, top and bottom. Take 'em in the house, set 'em on a countertop and try to rock them. If the machined surface rocks, it is twisted. Double check with your eye, but don't rely on the eyes alone.

Ebay can be a good source, if your careful. I heard the universal clamps are going cheap on ebay.

Where are you in NE?

Sorry, I haven't been around, missed your response. Make sure and take both clamps off, top and bottom. Take 'em in the house, set 'em on a countertop and try to rock them. If the machined surface rocks, it is twisted. Double check with your eye, but don't rely on the eyes alone.

Ebay can be a good source, if your careful. I heard the universal clamps are going cheap on ebay.

Where are you in NE?

Thanks for the responce. :thumbsup:

Once I got the bottom clamp off I could definately tell it was bent just a bit. It would rock on the workbench just like you mentioned. The top clamp (Pro Taper) still looked good.

I wasn't sure if an '03 KX125 bottom clamp would be the same or not. I couldn't ever find where there would be much of a difference other than the fact that the steering stem nut on an '03 was steel and the nut on an '04 was aluminum. I went ahead and bought a slightly used complete triple tree with good bearings from an Ebay store.

The new triple tree just showed up today. Everything on the new bottom clamp looked good. Bearings were in really good shape. I put the front end back together using my Pro Taper top clamp and the Ebay bottom clamp. Everything went together real smooth. The fork tubes slid through the clamps real nice and everything lined up. With the wheel back on everything is back in line where it should be. I'll probably try to take it for a quick ride tomorrow just to double check, but looks and feels 100% better now.

I always appreciate any help you can give. Even if it is a day or two late. :lol:

:usa: