Sign in to follow this  

Does JB weld work on Magnesium?

Today I discovered I have an oil leak on the case from a crack. It only leaks when leaned over to the right (I transported it in a truck so it was leaning right, normally it's always on the kickstand so I've never noticed until now). It leaks very, very slowly, so I know the crack is only hairline(The leak is the very top of the crack where the grey indention is. Can I JB weld it, and will it seal properly if I do? Should I wait until I change the oil? I really don't want to (and can't) spend the money on a new cover right now. 90 Dollars!:banghead::):banghead:

Thanks for advice:worthy:

P1010635.jpg

im not sure about jb weld but i would recomend pc7 or pc11 gas,oil and solvent proof and it might be an argument but a little more strong then jb

Ive used JB weld on a case and it held the whole 2 years I owned it....pretty much the same crack you have....

D

My buddy's got an 82' XT and the case is LITERALLY 1/8 JB weld. :) Its been holding fine for the last few months.

thats why its one of the best if not the best. just make sure you clean the area up with acetone before you put anything on it

...and dare I say it, get some TT case guards after you seal that crack.

my stator case cracked when my z fell over in the parking lot. Taped it up with Gorilla Tape and then sealed it with silicon. Held for over a month until I had time to fix it.

Also: TT case guards are a must, and while your at it also the TT skid plate! Great buys!

Today I discovered I have an oil leak on the case from a crack. It only leaks when leaned over to the right (I transported it in a truck so it was leaning right, normally it's always on the kickstand so I've never noticed until now). It leaks very, very slowly, so I know the crack is only hairline(The leak is the very top of the crack where the grey indention is. Can I JB weld it, and will it seal properly if I do? Should I wait until I change the oil? I really don't want to (and can't) spend the money on a new cover right now. 90 Dollars!:banghead::):banghead:

Thanks for advice:worthy:

P1010635.jpg

I recommend you take the cover off and JB Weld it from the INSIDE after roughing up the suface around the crack for at least 1/2". Definitely clean the area (acetone is good). I found it helps to let the part 'cure' overnight with a light bulb (to provide heat) within about 4" from the repair.... The TT case covers are a VERY good investment....

JB Weld is !@#$%^# awesome!! Hats off to the person who invented such an inovative product.

Alright, thanks guys. I'm going to plug it up on the outside with the weld just to stop it for now, then the next time I change my oil I'm going to take off the side case and seal it up from the inside as well, and while I'm in there do the loctite fixes. Case savers have been on my list of things to get for a while, as soon as I get some money I'll finally be able to treat my zook better. Thanks for the advice:thumbsup:

I really don't want to (and can't) spend the money on a new cover right now. 90 Dollars!:foul::banghead: :banghead:

If you ever need to change it, try eBay instead. I have seen used ones in excellent condition sell for a lot less than that :)