Sign in to follow this  

05 WR450F vs 02 XR650R

I'm looking to get something new for this summer. Both are right around $3k, the XR comes with the baja kit a slip on, the WR will need a baja kit but comes with A LOT of extra parts (forks, wheels, plastic, desert tank, etc). Both are one owner, very well kept machines. I've ridden both (my brother has an 00 650r, a friend has an 08 YZ450F), but I have beef with both. The XR feels too heavy/tall and the YZ felt like it was gutless down low. I did like the WR's seat position and weight. I LOVE the XR's power (my brother has a +2 or +3 in the rear).

I do mostly fire roads and mountain trail riding, no racing, and I intend to commute on the bike over the summer (less than 2 miles each way). Can someone please help me figure out which is the better by?

You can't beat a XRR on fire roads. Great bike but softly suspended IMO. I had two of them ('00s). I've also ridden a uncorked 05 WR450 once. It was a slug compared to the XRR. One problem I had with the XRR on fire roads was that it went too fast. Very easy to overshoot corners.:) However, I was a beginner then too.

If the stock springs are specific to your weight then the XRR is a great bike for your needs but don't expect it to be flckable on tight mountain trails; it is a heavy bike but only felt when riding tight technical terrain IMO. The WR is 33 lbs lighter than the XRR and has e-start too but I found the power to be anemic.

Riding an XRR all day will tax your endurance. I ride a YZ250 now and find that at the end of the day I am much less fatigued than when I had the big bore.

For street riding, the XRR wins too. All that extra torque is fiendishly fun between stop lights. :banghead: Oh, one more problem with the XRR, if it's uncokred it will drink your gas something terrible. I had a Stage 2 power up kit on mine and I was getting about 15-17 mpg but I'm also big boned (250#) and have a heavy throttle hand too :banghead:

I'd say go with the WR. For one thing, a 08 yz450 is quite a bit different from an 05 wr450. The WR is going to have alot more power down low with a sacrifice of topend. Its going to be alot better than the xr on trails and as far as power goes, it's no slouch. I had one, and once uncorked, it flat hualed. Besides, the WR has electric start!:)

I thought the two were very comparable as far as peak HP and TQ are concerned.

I weigh 180 so I don't think the XR's underpinnings would be strained too much. Very good point about the XR drinking fuel!