Sign in to follow this  

help wiring a horn 08 WR250F

I have a new 08 WR250F and have been trying to get my darn horn working.:banghead: I have a standard motorcycle horn with 2 leads coming off it. There is a small screw beside the leads, but it doesn't seem to want a connection mounted to it. The horn works great if I connect it straight to the battery (1 positive & 1 negative). :)

What I've tried so far: Hot wire coming off the headlight with the ground placed all over the freaking' bike...all I get is a little buzzing noise which I can't hear over the motor. My buddy has an 06 and is having the same issue.

Should I have the hot line hooked in somewhere else like the ignition? I don't think it should connect directly to the battery as it may drain it.

Any and all help is much appreciated. I suck at wiring (other than making it look pretty) and my brain has nothing more to offer. I'm almost at the point of clamping a freaking' bicycle horn to my bars.:banghead:

Don't you have a switch? Connect to the battery, run hot lead to switch which should be a push button, use the kill switch, cause you already have one on the computer. Run the second wire from the switch to one of the horn wires and ground the second. I suspect the reason you are only getting a buzzing from the horn wired to the lighting circuit is that there isn't sufficient juice to vibrate the horn diaphragm more strongly. The battery won't drain so long as you don't hold down the horn button overnight. Maybe the bicycle horn might be better? You do understand that you will have to cut the kill switch wires, right?

• Like 1

What is likely your problem, is that you have connected to AC current, but you have a DC horn. (AC horns have a rectifier built in and cost a bit more) Use a multi-meter to determine voltage type. My 05 has AC for lighting and I had to hunt for DC current- I think I found it at the push button on/off switch (it's been a few years since I did mine). The newer bikes might be different.

Once you have the DC current and a DC horn and/if it still doesn't work properly, then take a look at your mounting of the horn. Did you thread and unthread the mounting strap while mounting the horn? Doing so can change the tuning of the horn. And, sometimes those cheapie horns don't work so good right out of the box, but if you tune it properly, it will be loud- REALLY LOUD. Remember, those little cheapie horns are only $8 or so, so don't be shocked if it doesn''t work correctly the first time. For tuning how-to advice, I don't remember exactly what to tune, but if I recall correctly, you have to back the mounting stud in & out and retighten + experiment a little. It is pretty easy to tune- you'll have to play around with it a bit and you'll figure it out (it's not too complicated).

Good luck with it!

• Like 1

Fruitfarmer. That is what I was thinking (about the juice coming off the lights). I have a horn switch (I'm using my kill switch as I moved the kill to the right side with the start switch).

BazookaJoe: AC-DC...interesting stuff...the guy at the Yamaha shop said NOTHING about it. My horn worked perfectly when I first pulled it out of the box and connected it to the battery...then I took the mounting strap off and it started screwing up (BINGO) you hit the nail on the head. :foul: I'll try to "tune" it later today and see if it helps.

The wiring in the ignition switch is interesting on my 08. The red and red/black wire are hot before I turn on the ignition and afterward (respectively). When the bike starts, both have no power, but he BROWN wire does...WEIRD. :banghead: perhaps I should be hooking the horn up to the brown wire? :banghead:

Thanks for your help guys...I will probably never use the darn thing, but it is a necessary evil to be road legal. :)

Moscow Roost