Sign in to follow this  

tell me if my bike is normal

ok - so i have a 2001 S with E base gasket, full yosh ti system, 3x3, and FCR. my jetting is per eddie at the following:

155 main jet

200 main air jet

emn needle

3rd clip

45 pilot jet

100 pilot iar jet

2 turns fuel screw

i'm in las vegas, nv around 2k elevation.

i have my sm wheels on, and 15/44 gearing (a bit steep, but we'll get to that in a minute).i never noticed in the dirt on the stock wheels, but when i'm on the street with the 17" wheels/tires, it seems like the power runs out pretty quick. power is great off the line and up to maybe 6-7k (just guessing here) rpm, then seems to drop off pretty suddenly.

the question is - i know that the driz is no power monster. am i expecting too much? is there normally a power 'ceiling' that you reach, and then a sudden drop? i feel like if i geared up, it might improve to hit the 'sweet spot' for the power. what do you all think? i'm thinking 16/41 (i will do a bit of commuting on the highway).

if no to the above, any recommended changes on the jetting? the needle perhaps?

You first need to confirm the pilot jet and main jet circuits as described in the faq. section.... Then you know for sure the bike is jetted correct......then you look at possible other issues....:):banghead:

Erling

Are you saying that the bike seems to hit 10,000rpm too quickly in each gear while accelerating through the gears, or are you saying the bike simply falls on it's face at high rpm?

If it's hitting ten grand too quickly and it seems you're shifting every ten feet, go with the 41-tooth rear sprocket that comes on the DR-Z400SM.

This will gear it up.

I thought a Yoshimura Ti TRC exhaust required a 160 main jet.

Maybe your elevation changes that.

The peak power on a stock bike comes in at about 7500rpm. Over that and power drops off. Maybe this is what you are feeling? Try shifting sooner.

You need better cams. With Hotcams my Z revs to the limiter almost in a straight line (according to butt dyno).

ok - i do think that the gearing has something to do with it, but not all. the bike's power drops off dramatically at higher rpm, and i was thinking it might be the jetting. thanks for the replies.

it is a FCR MX. i think i recall seeing something about removing the pilot air jet - i'll have to search for that thread again. i'll also have to see if i have a 160 jet laying around somewhere.

and yes - hotcams would be awesome, but unfortunately not in the budget now. hopefully soon!

so just to make sure, here is a photo of my FCR. i have a better one somewhere, but i'll have to look. this is a MX, correct (the carb on the left)? it came off a KTM.

DSCF0579.jpg

so just to make sure, here is a photo of my FCR. i have a better one somewhere, but i'll have to look. this is a MX, correct (the carb on the left)? it came off a KTM.

DSCF0579.jpg

Looks like a regular fcr....not a fcr mx........ The -mx is a newer version.

With the regular fcr...you don`t remove the paj.....:):banghead:

Erling

well - you beat me to it - lots of search function this morning! i will try a 160 main and see if that picks things up a bit.

I have the same problem but only on the fwy. at about 70 to 75 and it just drops off and if I let off for a few seconds it will be ok.