Sign in to follow this  

05 kx 250 fork leg help

allright I know the fork cap is a 48mm.

I heard that you can make a fork seal driver from parts at a local hardware store. Can anyone explain exactly how to do this and what measurements for this driver?

I am going to be rebuilding and replacing the oil in my forks without the aid of a suspension shop for the first time with someone who knows how to do it but I just need the correct tools before I do this.

thanks

Greg

If you are taking the forks apart, replace the seals and wipers with new seals. You can use the old seal, cut in half, and turned upside down. Make sure the bushings and metal ring under the seal are seated all the way down, then you should be able to put the old seal on top of the new seal, and just about push them in. I use two clean blocks of wood and just push the new seals down. Thick PVC pipe will work also. If you cut the old seal into two halves with a hacksaw, and clean up the ends, it actuall works pretty good.

The fork cap is actually 46mm and an octagon. The inner hex portion is 14mm.

Someone on here made a wrench for me from 1/4 thick aluminum

Mark Lowe, maybe? I can't remember his user name, though.

I just bought a few different wrenches from Rocky Mountain for mine and my friends YZ. Made the seal installer out of PVC pipe. Just make sure you chamfer the inside of the PVC so you make room for the seal lip.

Yeah, pvc pipe. i used some fitting that was already semi-chamfered, and just cut it in half. I think it's 2", but as I recall i bought 1 1/2 and 2" since each piece cost less than the gas to drive to the store. I use a hose clamp to hold them to fork leg and just gently slide-hammer the seals into place. Same pieces for work for any 48mm fork, like my ktm's for instance.

I got a tool for the fork caps for $10 or so from rocky mountain, and I made my own 14mm allen wrench with a bolt (9/16 or so head, i forget) and a couple nuts jammed together.