Sign in to follow this  

1986 Cr250

I can pick up a 1986 CR250 for $200, new tires front and rear, but its missing the clutch assembly, top triple clamp, side cover, and other odds and ends. Do you think I should get it, cuz other than that its all together, including motor. I've heard that these have plenty of meat on the cylinder to bore it out, is this true?

I would do it but I like to put projects like that back together. Parts like that are available on eBay all the time. I've always had a soft spot for those bikes. See my garage on my recently completed '86 CR250.

It will cost a lot of money to get that bike running. If you can find a side cover and a clutch assembly for a decent price, it would be worth it. You could buy the rest of the parts new from Honda for minimal additional money. Try to keep it under $1000 including the purchase price on a bike of that vintage. But, because of the parts you listed as missing, I would lean towards no for this bike. It sounds like a money pit.

What year was the first for Nikasil, 86 or 87? If it's a nikasil cylinder there is no meat to be bored. Whatever the condtion of the cylinder, you can have them replated or bored/sleeved for around $200. The power valves are difficult to set up in these bikes. If the pieces aren't there, you could be out $400 plus just for the power valve.