Sign in to follow this  

parts review.... look here

Allright, I had someone ask me for a parts review via a private message so I though i would share indepth pictures of SOME of the after market goodies that I have. This should hopefully help give you guys some good insight onto your next purchase. The pictures should also help you figure out how all of these parts mount up exactly.

A little history: These parts are on an 05 KX 250 and have been ridden with literally every weekend since 2005 and raced with since the beginning of last year.

Also I will be posting a couple of my review of these parts per day as I have MANY things to go over and do not want to sit here for 8 hours typing.

Here goes.

100_0088.jpg

100_0087.jpg

100_0089.jpg

This is the Topar racing billet disk guard, shark fin/brake carrier/caliper guard. This has taken many poundings from rocks and other nasty objects that would otherwise leave your disk in shambles! It fits really well and has not worn out from the dust seals rubbing against them. I can't tell you how many times the caliper guard has been used but I have seen peoples rear calipers get taken out by a competitors footpeg on many occasions......

• Like 2

This is the BRP chain guard, the usual remedy for the sorry chainguards that stock bikes come with. When struck, this guard will not bend. I give it a thumbsup. 100_0083.jpg

100_0082.jpg

This is the PROMOTOBILLET kickstand. Mounts very cleanly up to the subframe mount and is provided with a longer allen screw to replace the stock subframe screw. As you can see it tucks up under the fender and is hardly noticeable when up. I can honestly say that this kickstand has NEVER come down on any terrain. Whether it be through 70mph desert whoops, or the biggest motocross track jump.

100_0084.jpg

100_0085.jpg

100_0086.jpg

This is the topar racing billet front disk guard. It mounts up very cleanly utilizing the front axle nut and an allen screw going into the caliper mount. I have smashed a few rocks here and their that would have destroyed my front disk.

100_0080.jpg

100_0079.jpg

100_0078.jpg

100_0077.jpg

This is the BRP top triple clamp made for mounting 1 1/8 in handle bars and simultanelously having a mount for a Steering Stabilizer. I don't really know how to review a tripleclamp but this will show you how cleanly it mounts. One thing I will say is how versatile BRP products are. Most companys that manufacture handguards make mounts specifically to mount up to BRP triple clamps. I choose not to mount my handguards directly to my triple clamps but that is an option.

Also, if you run enduros and use an enduro computer such as an ICO Checkmate, it will mount right up with the stabilizer and everything. You just have to take the link arm off of the stablizer and flip the stablizer backwards.

The Pro Taper EVO handlebars work very well and have not bent despite a few hard crashes.

100_0072.jpg

100_0090.jpg

100_0071.jpg

I also have the IMS 3.2 gallon gas tank. This is my second IMS tank as the other lasted three years before a good crash cracked the top where the gas cap goes. Just a warning, Gas wears down the plastic over time (i'm talking years) so it is a good idea to drain the gas out of your bike when it sits during the week and fill it up before you go ride. You will get a lot more longevity out of your gas tank and if you get a clear tank, it will stop you from getting the brown discoloration. My dads gas tank just started leaking after 2 and 1/2 years of use.

100_0019.jpg

100_0024.jpg

Thanks for the excellent tips/reviews. I have a new IMS going on my KX and didn't think about the tank breaking down over time until I read this thread.

One question: Will the PMB kickstand support rider and bike, as in while starting the bike? I'm 220lb and don't want to kill it if I get one. heh

Thanks for the pics, are the foot pegs stock or aftermarket. I am putting a good used Scotts steering damper on my 99 using the BRP mount right now and it looks just like yours.

Ed

Thanks for the excellent tips/reviews. I have a new IMS going on my KX and didn't think about the tank breaking down over time until I read this thread.

One question: Will the PMB kickstand support rider and bike, as in while starting the bike? I'm 220lb and don't want to kill it if I get one. heh

It will support the rider and bike, but..... I wouldn't really want to start the bike with this kickstand down as it is a little longer than your standard kickstands that come stock on trail bikes. I think they make the kickstand a little longer so less weight is on the kickstand which wont force it to stick in the mud or sand.

• Like 1

Thanks for the pics, are the foot pegs stock or aftermarket. I am putting a good used Scotts steering damper on my 99 using the BRP mount right now and it looks just like yours.

Ed

The footpegs are stock, I am about to purchase some IMS pro series footpegs though. Mine are very worn out.

• Like 1

It will support the rider and bike, but..... I wouldn't really want to start the bike with this kickstand down as it is a little longer than your standard kickstands that come stock on trail bikes. I think they make the kickstand a little longer so less weight is on the kickstand which wont force it to stick in the mud or sand.

Roger that. The more I read after seeing your post the more I realized that kicking it on the stand probably won't work well in most scenarios anyway due to the terrain. Thanks for the interesting tech on the length as well.

:)

I use seal savers and I give them a thumbs up. when I bought the bike last year it had seal savers and they looked to be at least a couple of years old. I just replaced them this year to my suprise when I removed them there was no dirt around the seals. The seal look to be in very good condition. They work like wiper blades for your shocks keeping dust, dirt, and mud from your seals. A good $20.00 investment.

I also have the IMS 3.2 gallon gas tank. This is my second IMS tank as the other lasted three years before a good crash cracked the top where the gas cap goes. Just a warning, Gas wears down the plastic over time (i'm talking years) so it is a good idea to drain the gas out of your bike when it sits during the week and fill it up before you go ride. You will get a lot more longevity out of your gas tank and if you get a clear tank, it will stop you from getting the brown discoloration. My dads gas tank just started leaking after 2 and 1/2 years of use.

100_0019.jpg

100_0024.jpg

Did you have any issues with the seat and shrouds fitting (like having to use spacers on the lower radiator mount) on the IMS tank?

Hey Greg, still good things to say about the Topar disc guard? How about the seal savers?

I just busted my OEM disc guard, looking at alternatives.

Yes, only good things. It is as light as stock and 900 times stronger. The seal savers are good, but they are the best for desert and silt. I have found that in serious mud, the seal savers hold dirt and actually force dirt into the dust wiper. The key to these is constant inspection after every ride. I think it has to do with the seals stretching out over time. A brand new pair of seal savers will protect very well, but a set that is six months old will start letting dirt in gradually and need to be cleaned out all the time.

Did you have any issues with the seat and shrouds fitting (like having to use spacers on the lower radiator mount) on the IMS tank?

No, no issues with that. Everything fits very easily. Just silicone that top bolt where the stock mount is. Also, drain the fuel after every ride or your gonna get that dreaded yellowish discoloration.