Sign in to follow this  

Brake question?

Changed out my rear pads. Refilled the brake fluid and the rear brake lever goes down all the way and the brake does not stop the rear wheel. I bled the brake from the furthest knob on the caliper and nothing changed. What else do I have to do to make this work?

You obviously have some air still trapped in the brake line so bleed it until no air bubbles appear. Firm pressure should then return to the pedal after you get all the air out. I use an automotive bleeder that uses pressure to keep a vacuum on the bleed nipple. There is only one point to bleed from on the caliper.

I let it bleed and it was a straight line of fluid no bubbles.

Obviously there is still air in there. Pump the pedal, hold it down, open bleed nipple, pedal goes down, hold it down and tighten nipple(so it can't suck air back in).....repeat until the pedal goes firm and keep the reservoir topped up while your doing it.

Ok, still have the problem..took kev250 advice and still didn't work. Does the rubber boot at the bottom of the master cylinder hold pressure? Fluid sprays out the bleeder but not a lot and not all the time.

I had a similar problem after greasing my swingarm bearings. Turns out the brake line got pinched in the process. I don't remember seeing any oil leaking out but the brake would not bleed properly. I was in a pinch so I got my local auto parts store to make me a brake line. It was 2/3 the cost of an OEM line and was steel braided. Still using it...