Sign in to follow this  

Gearing change advice

I never use 6th gear on my 230f. I want more torque to bring the front end up, and a crawler gear for nasty terrain. Is changing my sprocket tooth ratios a good idea for this or does it have any negative effects other than lower top speed?

The CRF230F first gear is already too low. I only use 1st for a granny gear to get out of trouble. I never start in first gear and am thinking of going taller. Stock is 13/50 and I am already running 13/48. I suggest gearing to where you run 3rd and 4th most of the time. Use 2nd for slow speed and 1st only for getting you out of trouble. 5th and 6th for cruising.

Dwight

You can try what I did. I switched the 13T front sprocket to a 12T. It turned it into a real tank. 1st gear is like a granny gear, able to crawl up the steepest hills very slowly with lots of control. My buddies say I'm cheating, but I like having the option. Plenty of more gears if I want to go faster up the hill! And it doesn't hurt the bike, far as i can tell. Some might say it is better to add teeth to the rear, but that costs a lot more and is a much bigger job. One tooth down in front won't hurt anything. Hope this helps

Try a smaller front sproket.

the only downside to a smaller front sproket is increased chain wear.

I played around with smaller front sproket....and when i decided i liked it i purchased a bigger back sprocket to match the ratio.

I really like the lower 1st "cheater" gear. We ride some really steep hills. I like the lower gear for on the way down....and its allways nice to be able to downshift a gear on the way up.

vmeadows

I can't believe that y'all think that first isn't low enough or even too low, and I like a low first gear too. I believe that taller gearing is better to take advantage of the engines great low end and less shifting.

Dwight

what's the cost like 30-40 bucks for a new front sprocket? just get one and try it out. everyones' got an opinion about it but for that nominal amount you should just judge for yourself. heres your sign

what's the cost like 30-40 bucks for a new front sprocket? just get one and try it out. everyones' got an opinion about it but for that nominal amount you should just judge for yourself. heres your sign

try like $15 max

I have to admit Dwight's right about the low-end torque on these bikes. The more I've come to know the bike, the more I understand how low you can really lug these engines and keep moving. I've actually gone back up to the 13T once I got a little better rider and learned to love the "grunt"! It generally works out to less shifting and more just twist and go.

You can try what I did. I switched the 13T front sprocket to a 12T. It turned it into a real tank. 1st gear is like a granny gear, able to crawl up the steepest hills very slowly with lots of control.

if you dont use all the gearing then yes you can change it, absolutely nothing wrong with doing this, NOW after you change some you will use 6th and a good gearing setup will get you the same top speed you do now in 5th the same in 6th. So now you have more torque, i agree to try 1 tooth less on front and see how you like it, there like $15 for a sprocket and it should make a good difference for you. DONT let anyone tell you that gearing changes arent right, everyone has their style and speed so best to suit YOUR bike to YOUR needs.

From what everyone has said I sounds like shorter gearing is exactly what I need. I do most of my riding in second and third now, and do my cruising in fourth and fifth. The longest, smoothest, flatest straightaway I can find where I ride ends about halfway through sixth and at that point I'm barely accelerating at all. I also find myself stalling or riding the clutch alot on tight hilltop turnarounds and technical terrain. If first is already a granny gear I guess I want to turn it into a mountain goat gear. I've been practicing getting the front end to pop up and found a sweet spot in second gear where I can almost wheelie without popping the clutch, maybe this modification will push it over the edge and make it useable. I ordered a 56 tooth rear sprocket (I know the front is cheaper but the innate bodacity of black PTFE coated aluminum is simply irrestible). Is going from a 50 to a 56 a big change?

Dwight,

with the woods we ride, the stock first gear is not low enough!

I fully use ALL of the low end torque the motor has.......my buddys are always amazed when they are at the top of a hill and they hear me letting it bog all the way to idle and then rolling back on. manhy of the hills have some tight technical stuff in the middle.

I have a reputation for taking a hard hill and making it harder........i look for the worst place to cut a new offshoot.

Some of the riding we do is closer to trial riding........big rocks.....extremely slow. I never use 6th gear.....so its not too low for me.

we have a 15 mile loop that takes an hour to complete....the REALLY good riders can make it in 55 mins.

so we are averaging around 15 miles an hour.

vmeadows

12t Primary Drive countershaft sprocket is like $9.00.

I've tried gearing on my 230 everywhere from 12/48 to 12/56. On a stock bike with no mods, I really liked the 13/56 or 12/53. As I opened it up, added a cam, reduced the weight by 38lbs (so far), I'm now at 12/48 which is only slightly lower than the stock 13/50 (4.00:1 vs 3.85:1).

The 11:1 compression piston arrives this week, along with an EK ultra-light 520 chain (another pound less), so I may end up giving 13/48 a try here soon.

I really am trying to stay away from anything larger than a 48t rear sprocket as I don't want to add any more weight (larger sprocket and longer chain).

I hate using the clutch to shift and the 1-2 & 2-1 shifts often result in neutral if I just blip and kick. I went to a 12t front sprocket. I can drag 2nd gear down to a slow walk, mostly avoiding 1st altogether. However, when the trail gets gnarly, 1st gear can be used for crawling over stuff without riding the clutch.

Having only gotten my bike to 6th gear a handful of times and never close to revved out, I don't miss the lost top speed.

I didn't think about chain length. Will I be able to use the stock chain with 13/56?

I didn't think about chain length. Will I be able to use the stock chain with 13/56?

No, the stock chain will be too short. You'd save a few bucks by going to a 12/52.

Darn it, I already ordered it and it will be in tomorrow. Any chain recommendations? I have never taken a chain apart or put it together and have no special tools.

With the stock motor my favorite gearing was the stock 13/50. But after putting in the engines only 250 kit I'm know running 14/48. First gear is still quite low but the biggest difference is that I can stay longer in any given gear. The bike is street legal so the new gearing is a little more comfortable for my short stints on the hiway to connect trails.