Sign in to follow this  

backfire on deceleration

just put new wiseco std piston in my 06 and now on decel it backfires. Any ideas what this is?

Is it like a loud pop or pop-POP when using the high revs and compression to decel?

It's been almost 5 months since I've riden but I'm pretty sure that my 07 does that stock. I just assumed it was the big bore + hig compression + straight pipe exhaust...

its fine.. your running lean with the throttle closed but it doesnt matter

I have 2 450's, neither pop on deceleration, if there popping I'd look for a leak on the exhaust pipe or richen the fuel screw a touch. Properly set up they don't pop

thanks for the info, I will go out on fuel screw. Anyone suggest going up to a 45 on the pilot I have stock 42?

I would suggest you put that piston in properly first.

I have 2 450's, neither pop on deceleration, if there popping I'd look for a leak on the exhaust pipe or richen the fuel screw a touch. Properly set up they don't pop

Mine has just been rebuilt, where would and how much would i adjust the "fuel screw" to make it a little richer? Isnt lean bikes put huge stress on the motor?

thanks

I second the exhaust leak

Mine has just been rebuilt, where would and how much would i adjust the "fuel screw" to make it a little richer? Isnt lean bikes put huge stress on the motor?

thanks

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/me2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=6E5BCFD99FD242B28032722A4D5D52E3

Turning the fuel screw out lets more fuel into the engine and creates a richer mixture. It's recessed on the bottom of the carb. I use a detachable screw driver tip to turn it or you can get a more permanent fuel screw with a knob on the end.

Indeed. Go out on the screw for a lean pop on decel.

Also, how cold was it out? I always remember, COLD=OUT. If it's cold out and your popping turn the fuel screw out. I usually only get the popping when it's pretty cold out (below 45 at least).