Sign in to follow this  

Dying Duck

Anyone know where I can find a good, used horn for a DRZ?? Searched here, ebay, and still no luck. Cleaned and adjusted it a million times, but still won't work when actually riding. Just wanna try a new one cause that should be the prob. Thanks. :)

Here's something to consider...http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=550590&highlight=stebel+nautilus. That'll be my next purchase for the DRZ. My stock horn is doing the same thing. I was just a few feet behind my buddy last weekend and let the horn sing for a good mile. He didn't hear a thing. I bought an $8 horn from the dealership and it was worse than my OEM horn.

Thanks, guys. Someone recommended a Wolo Mini I think it was called- supposed to be louder and more reliable than stock. Amazon and Ebay have them for $15 inc shipping. Hopefully I'll scare some soccer mom enough to put down her cell phone and drive! :)

Go to any car parts store and pick up a basic, round car horn. They're cheap and usually much louder than bike horns.

Anyone know where I can find a good, used horn for a DRZ?? Searched here, ebay, and still no luck. Cleaned and adjusted it a million times, but still won't work when actually riding. Just wanna try a new one cause that should be the prob. Thanks. :)

The PO of my bike pulled the horn off. He gave me a bag with all of the goodies that he yanked off of the bike. I will look for it today if you like. I'll give it to you for free, as I have no use for it.

How big is this horn? Is there room on the drz to mount in the same place as the stock horn?

says it's 2.5" L x 4.5" W x 2.5" H

i don't see it fitting in the stock location.

I installed the Nautilus and I love it:thumbsup:

picture diagram of switch and how to wire it.

HORNWIREING.jpg

Switch in place cable tied to stock horn bracket, with stoch horn wires attatched (horn removed)

I did not remove bracket as I would like a quick re-install of stock horn when the dreaded M.O.T time is here.

DSC00345.jpg

Live and earth wires to horn, tried to keep all cables nice and tidy with plenty of zip ties to help.

DSC00346.jpg

I was very concerned about possible heat problems because of where I had decided to mount the horn, so I removed the stock bolt that I had decided to mount on to and replaced it. As you hopefully can see in my dodgy photo. I put a longer bolt in and used three nuts as spacers, leaving a small gap between them and the bolt head for the horn to sit on.

DSC00349.jpg

Doing the bolt mod for the horn to sit on has given me a one inch gap between the horn and head. (now nothing should melt)

DSC00348.jpg

To help stop any movement I drilled two little holes and zip tied the horn as well to the small pipe, probably not needed but I am normally one for going over the top.

It really is as solid as a rock.

DSC00350.jpg

I am really pleased with it.:)

It scared the crap out of me.:banghead:

I reckon it could scare the recently dead.:banghead:

DSC00351.jpg