Sign in to follow this  

Where to find nitrogen for shock rebuild?

Ok, I have looked all over. I have one person locally (Cincinnati, OH) who will refill the shock from my YZ125 for $40, but this seems a bit high priced to me. Anyone know places that do this kind of thing? Tire Discounters here locally filled it for me once, but it was only around 100psi at best, obviously I need more. I am having a huge trouble trying to find someone to do this.

Or is $40 about right?

FORTY BUCKS!?!?!?!

You could buy a whole rig for that much!

Cheeze and rice......how do you justify $40?? Maybe the guy sees it as a nuicance and prices it that high to scare people off.

Used to be, Yamaha dealers were required to have a way to charge shocks with n2. You should only have to pay about $10 for that service.

Yeah, I thought $40 was outrageous as well. I have waited about 2 months since calling my local Yammy shop. The first time I called, they said sure, bring it in, $15. The last time I called, they said nope we don't do that. So no clue .. I'll call again tomorrow and see if I get someone a bit less retarded.

I waited so long because I wasn't sure if I was going to keep the bike or sell it. I decided to keep it. :banghead:

$40 is quite a bit of cash when you no longer have a job. :)

Just called the Yami shop, they now do shock refills, but the price went up from $15 to $35.

Stealership is accurate.

One last thing .. you said I could get a full setup for around $40. Would that include everything I need to do this myself? Also, where would I find it? Most of the kits I have found were around $300.

Found a very good dealer to fill up my shock for $15. If only more dealerships were like these guys, they would all have great reputations!

I exagerrated a bit on the "whole rig" part. But really, a small bottle of n2 is $20.00 and then you just need a regulator. Some are better (and more expensive) than others. Maybe you could even find guages on ebay....who knows? I guess the bottom line is how often are you going to need the n2? Is it 'long-term' worth it?

p.s. your avatar scares me..........

i charge $5 for an N2 shot, or if the customer brings along some cookies or similar, it'll be for free.

Perhaps i'm just a bad salesman :)

Aircraft maintenance guys use nitrogen for everything. If you're near an airport that has a maintenance shop, drop by and ask, they'll probably do it for free.

Air Conditioning guys use nitrogen as well.

i charge $5 for an N2 shot, or if the customer brings along some cookies or similar, it'll be for free.

Perhaps i'm just a bad salesman :)

Same here:bonk:

Perhaps even a car dealer ship can do it now a days, as they are inflating the cars (tires)on the lot with it. Some type of scam.......:)

I have no air supply in my shop. I use nitrogen as my air, its that cheap.

a 250 cuft tanks(5ft tall) only costs about 25 bucks for a refill of it, I bought a couple.

Also car delaerships only go to a 175 psi MAX, like someone said mosst are around 100psi fro tires.

Go to a welding shop tell them you need the smalles cheapest nitrogen reg you can buy and a small tank. The tank should be about $70 and the regulator should be around $50. a 20 cuft tank would cost about $5 to refill and do i would guess 5 or more shocks. This does not include the isolation valve. obviously if you only need it once in a blue moon its cheaper to buy some chocolate chip cookies and a 20oz of milk and head over to Frezno's!

how do you know when its time to recharge the shock?

When you finish rebuilding it.

it does over time, but by then its time to rebuild anyway.