Sign in to follow this  

Cooler Options

I will be shipping my engine out to Eddie soon. I have read the shipping thread, and that the coolers work the best. I saw the standard 70qt with the wheels works fine for just the engine. But I also have the carb/bigbore kit/crank im sending also. I doubt they would all fit in the 70 quart cooler and I was looking at this

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5192860

It looks wide enough to insulate it, lay the engine down, and have room for the other items Im shipping. I have read the engine is 17.5'' tall so that should be plenty of room.

UPS is not going to like that mega cooler.

Stick with the standard walmart cooler everyone's successfully been using and ship the other parts separately.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5663765

this is the one. go with the Ice Cube. Worked for me twice now. Use some strapping tape to secure the lid closed. The latch is not enough.

UPS standard is 100 inches, Take the height x the girth and if its under 100 inches you're good. They used to give out a ball chain like on a pull cord for a lamp and it had a bigger ball at 100" and at 130", you stretch it once the height (or longest dimension) then wrap around once (girth) and that is your measurement. 100" is standard rate and 130 is oversize. Beyond that you have to go cargo.

Well it was less than I thought it would be. the cooler was $26 with wheels and I reccomend that over the non wheeled cooler for $19 at Walmart. Use a trash bag and sack you engine to keep FOD out.

Drop the engine in the cooler and grab a few boxes from the local corner store of if your lucky you can get some foam corners used to ship TVs and so forth from the local electronic store. Break up the foam in hunks and start stuffing the engine and use carboard to dull the sharp edges of the engine.

I folded the cardboard in triangle tubes and taped them for rigidity, filling the large voids. According to Scott the engine got to CO from CA in pristine shape.

Shipping was $70 and $10 of that was fee for the mail box place I went to.

The measurements were 19x19x22 and 95 lbs.