Sign in to follow this  

2006 crf450r hot start cable stuck?

hows a going I have a hot start lever thats frozen tried lubing it with WD-40, doesnt work pulled the gas tank off to get to the carb the peice is stuck on there what should i do? i mean i dont really need it, because my bike starts easy first compression kick hot or cold just want it right thats all, also i have a stripped out bolt insert on the gas tank where the shroud is tried lacing it with that white thread tape doesnt work, dont have a tap any other ideas?

Use a 14mm wrench to remove the cable mount from the carb then spray in some penatrating oil then use the cable to pull it out. I did see one once that was stuck so bad I needed to use an easyout. Then replaced the plunger. It is tough to give you better advice without seeing it.

ok ill give it a shot tonight, thanks anyone know how to fix a stripped bolt insert on the gas tank, also whats the easiest way to get to that cable i mean ive pulled the tank off tried going from the top pai in the ass no room to work with

I usually have to pull the carb off the boot so that I can get a wrench on the hot start cable mount.

You can do it without removing the carb if you have smaller hands and plenty of patience. Otherwise its probably best to remove the carb. You need to make sure you lube the new plunger and always keep flicking it occassionally when its sitting, especially after a washing. Replacing the cable is a good idea now too. I dont think the plunger comes with the cable.

ok thank you your input is apprectiated, is it easiest to pull the gas tank off and go from the top or go from the side?

Pull the tank and go from the top... I use channel locks so that I dont have to have that perfect line-up with the wrench, but they will chew away at it a little... but it wont hurt anything unless you need to do it many times.

ok so heres what happened i got the hot start off, but theres a little brass peice thats babdly carodded in side mushroomed im pissed, i pulled the carb completely out sitting on my work bench what shall i do now please help

Depending on how bad it is you might have to take it to a good machine shop and have them remove it. They might have to precision drill it. If you are very good you could try it but if you drill into the bore for the plunger you will make it a paper weight. I have never seen one get mushroomed. Sounds like someone has been in there before. If this is done in a mill it can be held securley in place and should not be a big deal.