Sign in to follow this  

Stripped inspection cap

The upper inspection cap is stripped on my bike, Ive never taken it off. I went to check my valves for the first time last weekend and I could not get it off, I tried a few different screw drivers and even filed one down to fit perfectly. This thing would not come loose and just keeps stripping. Its not actually that bad yet, but I have pro circuit plug kit on the way, Im just wondering how im going to get this thing off? I thought about using an impact driver but I dont want to make things worse, or possibly punch a whole in the cover.. thought about using a punch and hitting it on the outside counter clockwise.. Just looking for some other ideas.. Thanks! :)

You´re on the right way, try one of these:

12-847_l.jpg

Heat that bad boy up with a torch for a few seconds. Make sure you have another good fit and it should spin off after the metal gets hot. Don't forget that there is a rubber ring gasket behind there, don't want to melt it unless you have a replacement.

i've used a quarter before, but i guess you've messed it up too much for that.

Thats what I have DK, Im just worried about it making it worse, or punching it through all the way.. and then id need a new cover.. Didnt think about heating it up..

Heat can do good, then punch it off-center counter-clockwise. Should work.

Those caps always get stuck, it´s a common problem.

Allen head caps makes life easy:

IMG_1373.jpg

Those should be here tomorrow! Ill work on getting it out this weekend since im going to ride tomorrow.. I think I should be able to get it, just wondering if there was an easier way..As well as the hot start nut thats coming too.. Im going to have to reroute my hose like that too. its a pain to reach my fuel screw where its at.. i didnt think of moving it behind the carb. T.y. dk

I remember a thread quite sometime ago where the same thing happened to someone.He took a drimell And cut a notch in the right place to put a flathead screwdriver to tap it out.Get what I'm saying?

Yeah I know what you mean, I think im on the right track and shouldnt have to much of a problem getting it out this weekend, Ill let ya know how it goes!