Sign in to follow this  

Bone Dry '09!!!!

Just a heads up to those that have not done this yet.

I only have a small amount of time on my '09 and today I was prepping the bike for the up and coming spring series. To my great dismay just about everything on the bike was bone dry with absolutely NO grease. This included the steering stem, both axles, swingarm pivot and bearings and shock knuckle bearings and bolts. I know it is a good thing to grease all new bikes, and I do in fact do this to all my bikes but I thought I'd give a shout for those that have not done this to their '09 yet as it is absolutely necessary for this bike!

Get out the grease and start lubing gents! :)

Good tip,,,,, the teenagers putting these bikes together out of the crate at the Honda shop usually do a pretty crappy job at lubing parts.:)

I've had a new '00, '01, '02 CR250R's and my '05 450R which have all got the "tear down and grease" treatment. The linkage/dogbone, steering head, and wheel bearings all get packed with grease.

I don't know if it's Honda trying to save $$ on production costs, or if they just assume that people will do this on their own ? I do mine every Winter, a buddy bought a used bike and ended up spending $350 to have all of the bearings pressed out and new ones put in. All because the previous owner didn't take care of his linkage.

I could see dealer prep (pdi) costs going through the roof if the dealerships themselves were tasked with greasing the bikes. Take the bike out of the crate, pull the wheel, linkage, swingarm, forks off and then pack everything. Then re-assemble - would = big money for them.

Anyway, congrats on the new ride !! :)

Good tip,,,,, the teenagers putting these bikes together out of the crate at the Honda shop usually do a pretty crappy job at lubing parts.:)

Most of the parts are "lubed" at the factory in Japan. Very little of it has to do with the setup peon at the shop.

The real probelm is the Japanese don't like to get their nice white lab coats and hands dirty with grease.

My dad used to work a suzuki dealership in the 80's and said he made sure that everything was adjusted, lubed, and torqued... until he was told that took too long and to just throw the bike together!

I guess not much has changed :)

Mine was fairly greased up I was quite impressed actually.

I didnt have to add much at all.

I had heard somewhere it was because of EPA import regulations, if even one drop of lube drips somewhere during shipment it turns into a logistical nightmare..

Either way, what better to get you familiar with your new toy, I mean if you haven't removed every screw and bolt and put it back together how can you say it's "your" bike...

Just a heads up to those that have not done this yet.

I only have a small amount of time on my '09 and today I was prepping the bike for the up and coming spring series. To my great dismay just about everything on the bike was bone dry with absolutely NO grease. This included the steering stem, both axles, swingarm pivot and bearings and shock knuckle bearings and bolts. I know it is a good thing to grease all new bikes, and I do in fact do this to all my bikes but I thought I'd give a shout for those that have not done this to their '09 yet as it is absolutely necessary for this bike!

Get out the grease and start lubing gents! :)

Thanks for the tip. However, I'm new to looking after an offroad; been riding superbikes my whole life. Where can I find a decent description of what to grease and how. Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I simply don't know. Many thanks

What bike and year do you have? I purchashed my 07 new and it came with a very good book on the where and how to's so I may be able to help you out.

The only setup involved for a CRF/R is putting on the handlebars (which involves putting the already assembled throttle on and adjusting the lever position), front wheel, front numberplate, front fender, and front rotor cover. Other than that the setup sheet from Honda specifies that a tech needs to check the oil and coolant levels, tire pressures, chain adjustment and that about covers it.

We aren't supposed to pull it down and grease anything. I highly recommend to anyone buying a new dirt bike (or used for that matter) to pull it down and lube it yourself as soon as you get it home. You just never know what you've got until you verify for yourself.

Thanks for the tip. However, I'm new to looking after an offroad; been riding superbikes my whole life. Where can I find a decent description of what to grease and how. Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I simply don't know. Many thanks

I've been using Bel-Ray waterproof grease. Comes in a small plastic tub about the size of a margerine container. Haven't had any issues. Mine weren't dry, but it was pretty sparsely greased. www.gpmotocross.ca

My 09 was better than my last 2 when new and had quite a bit in the steering stem bearings, the dog bone, linkage, and swingarm were pretty sparse on grease.

I took my 08 apart over the winter, and almost every area was PACKED with grease.

almost ...........

Everywhere except for the lower shock bearing, where it had been obvious dirt and water had entered (which explains the play in the rear swingarm I "had').

I replaced the entire linkage with a Factory Connection unit, but it was a good experience to see. Repack with grease before your bearings go South ... takes only a few minutes (lesson learned for me):)

Anyway, its something worth keeping an eye on regularly and re-doing at specified intervals.

** Or you can just buy a KTM and be done with the linkage at the EXPENSE of a WILD "out of control" JUMPING BACK END ... I'll stick to the greasing (***just kidding KTM guys ... I am sure my riding partner will catch this quote and offer his 2 cents) :-)

We picked up our 09 CRF450 on the 9th of this month. No grease was only part of the issue. When we were taking it apart to grease it, we were able to remove quite a few bolts by hand. I also checked the valves before the 1st ride and found that the right intake is alread tight at .004. It has 3 hours on it after this weekend, and I can't wait to see where it's at right now, but I won't know until this weekend, no time.

I took my 08 apart over the winter, and almost every area was PACKED with grease.

almost ...........

Everywhere except for the lower shock bearing, where it had been obvious dirt and water had entered (which explains the play in the rear swingarm I "had').

I replaced the entire linkage with a Factory Connection unit, but it was a good experience to see. Repack with grease before your bearings go South ... takes only a few minutes (lesson learned for me):)

Anyway, its something worth keeping an eye on regularly and re-doing at specified intervals.

** Or you can just buy a KTM and be done with the linkage at the EXPENSE of a WILD "out of control" JUMPING BACK END ... I'll stick to the greasing (***just kidding KTM guys ... I am sure my riding partner will catch this quote and offer his 2 cents) :-)

Hmmm.....That KTM Teflon heim joint is in perfect condition at 160 hours...just checked it on the weekend actually...:banghead:

So exactly how much did you drop for that Factory Connection setup to replace those worn bearings...:foul: Betcha I could get that back shock custom valved for the same amount...heh heh heh...

In all fairness, Hondas may be light on the grease but at least they come with loctite on the bolts (unlike the pre '08 KTMs) :banghead:

every new bike i get always gets torn down for the linkage and steering stem bearing grease treatment BEFORE i put much time on them. i rode my 09 once before i tore it down. rode my 07 once before i torn it down, same with my 05, 03, 02, etc. etc. it is just good practice to take care of your bearings. i redo them at least once a year as well and try to stay away from those areas with the pressure washer after a mud ride. the pressure washer i have at work has about 2500 psi so you gotta be careful with the nozzle and where you point it. it has a habit of removing graphis for me too.:)

What bike and year do you have? I purchashed my 07 new and it came with a very good book on the where and how to's so I may be able to help you out.

I have an '09...the manual does not explain this very well, or do I simply miss something. A few guys makes it sound quick and easy. I'm not so technical, :) so precise instructions / pics would be welcome. Tx

I have an '09...the manual does not explain this very well, or do I simply miss something. A few guys makes it sound quick and easy. I'm not so technical, :) so precise instructions / pics would be welcome. Tx

You may want to consider purchasing a serivce manual.