Sign in to follow this  

drilling the lugs in my tires?

ok, so I remember reading about the terraflex tire, how the lugs are designed so that you can drill them down in the middle when they wear down and they will have very good grip once again.

I was wondering how true that is?

does it work for all tires?

I have a kenda carlsbad, with a 1 inch lug, and the hole in the center of the lug is 1/8 inch deep. well once the tire hits 7/8 tall the hole dissappears. so would drilling it back in there give me awesome grip once again?

this is the tire I have: http://www.pieces-dirt-bike.com/images/shop/pit/thumb200200_Kenda_carlsbad.jpg

thanks guys.

I think the hole is there to indicate when your tire is worn out and its time to get a new one. Similar to the "M" shape on Michelins

Might not help as much as cutting/shaving new edges into the part of the lugs that bite into the ground. Might be worth a try tho. You will have a worn out tire either way if it doesn't work :)

Might not help as much as cutting/shaving new edges into the part of the lugs that bite into the ground. Might be worth a try tho. You will have a worn out tire either way if it doesn't work :)

well the lugs are about an inch tall. once they hit the 7/8 of an inch it means my tire is done or what?!? I only have like 8 hours on this tire, light hours too.

what do you mean cutting/shaving the edges? you mean to make the edge of the lug "sharp" and not rounded like it is now?

theres still like 75% of the tire left, it still gets awesome traction. I have LOTS of time on my hands and very little money at the moment so if I have to spend two hours tonight with an exacto knife shaving every lug I will.

kepp flipping the tire till it smoked i wouldnt bother shaving the lugs with the exacto blade

http://www.scpraceparts.com/circle_track_racing_parts/ideal-delux-tire-grooving-iron-includes-4-head-and-blades.html

IDL-IDL125_1.jpg

I re-edge my teraflex, and my MT-21 tires.

On the -21 when the center groove wears away, I just cut another. They don't cut the groove all the way down from the factory because then the tread block would bend/squirm too much.

Dave

http://www.scpraceparts.com/circle_track_racing_parts/ideal-delux-tire-grooving-iron-includes-4-head-and-blades.html

IDL-IDL125_1.jpg

I re-edge my teraflex, and my MT-21 tires.

On the -21 when the center groove wears away, I just cut another. They don't cut the groove all the way down from the factory because then the tread block would bend/squirm too much.

Dave

thats a good point, I never thought of that.

im probably not going to shave them with an exacto blade, but ill continue to drill out the centers until the lug gets too small.