Sign in to follow this  

gas to oil ratio

gas to oil ratio what should i run i have a 97 rm125 and what is a good oil

When my son raced 2-strokes all I ran was Dumonde Tech full synthetic. It doesnt smoke and keeps the internals lubricated very well. I would run it at about 40:1. We ran it at 50:1 on his YZ 85 but I dont recommend doing that unless you know what your doing with jetting and the type of plug you run. Just my .02 :)

Best suggestion is to follow the original owners manual and choose a good high quality oil. Stick with the factory ratio and jet accordingly. At the risk of igniting a ratio war, consider the following. An engineer went to school for at least 4 years and was a "coffee Boy" for several more before he was allowed to play with the "expensive toys" at work. If anybody knows the right ratio it is probably that guy. Not me or any other rider. I am sure that durability, cooling, heat transfer, film strength and a myriad of other variables were considered before arriving at an optimal ratio. All I am saying is factory engineers are way smarter than me or you and got paid to figure all of this out. for us. Why re-invent the wheel when theirs works just fine.

the bike manufacturer has to recommend a ration that works with the least common denominator. if the manufacturer said mix 40-50:1 which works fine with a high quality synthetic, and their customers saw that and ran cheap oil at 50:1 there would be problems. its fine to follow the oil manufacturer's recommendations.

i have always run amsoil, but there are dozens of oils to chose from. buy one that you can get easily locally. they all work. i mix 40:1 for one reason 5 gallons of gas mixed 40:1 uses 16oz of oil. so every 10 gallons is a quart of oil; its easy.

i was told 32.1 so thats what im runing i was told that 40.1 would blow the moter up

32-1 is an across the line standard that most use, its been proven that in a properly jetted bike that actually somehting like 20-1 makes the most power BUT thats besides the point here, most all are around 32-1 and you cant go wrong with that, adjust jetting to get it running correctly

i was told 32.1 so thats what im runing i was told that 40.1 would blow the moter up

yes, 40:1 will probably hurt it. We ran 40:1 in the rm125 we had for a little while. It was fine but in a muddy race going across a long field with ankle deep slop, it let go. 32:1 again and never have that problem