Sign in to follow this  

Diagnose my suspension problem, CRF250.

I am a beginner/intermediate rider weighing 175Ibs with kit on running stock suspension settings (including springs) according to the honda owners manual. According to some previous posts on here the stock settings should be about right for a rider of my weight.

At the weekend I was racing a natural mx track with alot of wide open straights. As the day went on and the track gets rutted up it was apparent that my bikes suspension could be set up better. On accelaration over bumps the the bars got some serious left/right wobble (tank slapper). I realise that this may reflect riding technique but I think in terms of riding position I am ok.

The problem I have is that I dont know what this means and what I need to do to put it right so any input or advice on a basic setup would be much appreciated.

From my time riding downhill mountainbikes I understand about rebound and compression damping and spring rate.

have you set the sag? and i would not be surprised if you cant get good sag numbers at 175lb, i am a little lighter and need a softer spring on the crf.

Thanks for the reply. I am going to check the sag later and the current settings. I had missed the "how to" on sag adjustment and damping adjust on the first page so i'll start there. Thanks again