D U S T ! !

hey guys. im new here, and i hope this is the best spot for this ( i have barely look around here )

i took my air filter off my bike today to clean her ( like i do after EVERY ride ) and i noticed that i had dust on the plastic between the carby and the air filter. like i rubbed my finger over it, and my fingertip was very dusty. should i be worried, and check my valves and all that. or should i just pull it apart, and clean it, and check it again next time, and if its dusty then.. start worrying ?

this has never happened before.. and the air filter was on there fine, and it was very dirty on the outside, but perfectly clean on the inside of the foam.. so im not sure what has happened, i was riding in a fair bit of dust, and alot of it i was making in dusty corners, so could it have been that it was just sucking in air that was soooo dusty that it simply had to suck in dust ?

i just don't want to be up for big bucks after a dusted motor. and btw if it helps its an "07 yzf 250 with only 14 hours on it.

Dust in the engine is not good, especially on a race bike. They have nitride(?) coatings on the valves, (do YZFs have that coating?) and once a little bit gets taken off (eg. by dust) they wear away really quickly, so be prepared to do/pay for a rebuild, if the valves aren't stuffed already, they probably will be soon.

If i'm wrong, someone please correct me. I don't know much about the YZFs. Oh and welcome to the site fellow Aussie. Head over to the Yamaha forum and check it out.

hey guys. im new here, and i hope this is the best spot for this ( i have barely look around here )

i took my air filter off my bike today to clean her ( like i do after EVERY ride ) and i noticed that i had dust on the plastic between the carby and the air filter. like i rubbed my finger over it, and my fingertip was very dusty. should i be worried, and check my valves and all that. or should i just pull it apart, and clean it, and check it again next time, and if its dusty then.. start worrying ?

this has never happened before.. and the air filter was on there fine, and it was very dirty on the outside, but perfectly clean on the inside of the foam.. so im not sure what has happened, i was riding in a fair bit of dust, and alot of it i was making in dusty corners, so could it have been that it was just sucking in air that was soooo dusty that it simply had to suck in dust ?

i just don't want to be up for big bucks after a dusted motor. and btw if it helps its an "07 yzf 250 with only 14 hours on it.

Its possible that when you removed the dirty air filter some of the dust/dirt fell into the intake boot. I have this happen on occasion if the track we were at was really dusty or has really fine dirt. I just clean out the air boot and air box really good before installing a fresh filter. ?

did you aplly grease on the face of the sealing area of the filter?

is there a special greace for doing this? I've never done it i just put the air filter oil on it... is that fine? ? i havnt had dust get in there yet..

sounds like you need a new air filter. Make sure you properly oil it after cleaning, and be sure it is fully sealed where the filter touches the air box.

I know people hate K&N's, but I have one and LOVE it. I've had it for about 4 years, and every time I clean it, the plastic on the inside (carb side) is PERFECTLY clean and looks brand new, even when the outside is completely caked with thick oily dust and all sorts of crap. They're less messy to clean, too, IMO...

I know people hate K&N's, but I have one and LOVE it. I've had it for about 4 years, and every time I clean it, the plastic on the inside (carb side) is PERFECTLY clean and looks brand new, even when the outside is completely caked with thick oily dust and all sorts of crap. They're less messy to clean, too, IMO...

The air cooled 250 trail bikes don't suck alot of air. I know, I used to have one. I could get away with using motor oil on a foam filter and the airboot would still be clean. The 450 moves so much air I wouldn't dare try to do that.

What oil is the OP using? I used no toil one time out of the spray can and even with a good cover it still passed some dust.

Maxima FFT is where its at for me

i think Charlie755 got it. lol. now that you mention that.. i left the air filter out of my bike for about 2 weeks (not this clean, but the one before) but i had the seat on and all. and it was inside the shed, which has a concrete floor and all that.. so yea.. i think that the dust must have settled during that, and i didn't notice it when i put the air filter back in, and run the bike for about 2.5 hours like that. and only noticed it then. so i don't think that much if any damage was done to the motor, as the dust was clearly still there after the 2.5 hours of riding.

i hosed it out, after removing the whole air box, and sub frame and like half the bike, lol.