Sign in to follow this  

hsuaberg head shake

my dad owns an "06 Husaberg FE 550 and he is planning to register it for the road, however as it is now ( 99% stock ) the handle bars start to wobble at about 80km/h on the tar, and just get worse the faster you go. its not death wobbles as such. like you can ride it just fine.. however.. you just don't feel in control, like the end of bars wouldn't be going more the 10mm back and fourth, but it just doesn't feel safe. it has the stock knobby front tyre on it. we have had the forks set up for his weight and riding style (when he is riding in the bush that is), so suspension set up shouldn't be a problem.

he was talking to a dealer today, who said that the rim lock in the front wheel could be affecting it also, and that we should use a string line to check that the wheels are inline ( *** ? ).

what else could we do to get this baby on the nice, the head shake is its ONLY fault.

they should be... the bike has less then 200Km's on it

shouldn't they ? i'd of thought they'd be all good..

the rear sag was set by the suspension tuner. and a steering damper wouldn't help as it doesn't move anywhere near that much ( thank god ). they are only meant to help fight front wheel deflections.

they should be... the bike has less then 200Km's on it

shouldn't they ? i'd of thought they'd be all good..

Dirt bikes come from the factory with out of balance tires. If the bike has single rim-locks, the wheels will be grossly (3 - 6 ozs) out of balance. Wheels/tires must be balanced for any kind of high speed riding.

so. are you saying i should remove the rim lock ? you don't NEED them on the front wheel anyway... and my dad isn't the type to NEED them in the rear either LOL.

this is the left overs of a husa that headshook itself into a tree at 80, it's a bloody serious problem with these bikes and need's to be fixed, if the suspention doesn't help then put a scott dampener on it, and yes it will stop headshake.

DBWChristmaspartyDec012007003.jpg

broken foot, femur, hip, ribs and skull alongw ith other more minore injury's to numrous to list

also keep in mind, just because somone call's themself a suspention tuners doesn't mean they know f*** all about what they're doing, very few know how to properly set up a husaberg, lower the rear sag if you need to or move the fork's down in the clamps, set the suspention how your old man likes it, not how the suspention tuner says to, everyone likes they're bikes set up differantly.

shit..

well dad doesn't really want to spend the money on a steering damper (yet) as he isn't even sure if he is going to keep the bike. so people seem to think they'd work ? i was under the impression that this little bit of head shake wouldn't be helped be a steering damper

a steering damper will completly eleminate headshake, along with deflection and a host of other undeserable things as well as reducing fatuige and arm pump dramticly, will make it a completly differant, and much more enjoyable bike to ride, well worth the money, particulary on the pre 09 husa's and 03-07 KTM's.

I have a O6 Husaberg fe 450 I put a scotts damper on it. It stop the head shake. I can open it up on dirt road with out any worry of head shake. Its great add on it worth putting on.