Sign in to follow this  

2nd Decompressor pin on 09

Well the first one Honda warrantied for me lasted 4 hours. They changed the cam the rocker arms and pin for what I dont know. They had my bike for 2 months. I pulled mine apart and all it needs is the pin. I orderd a aftermarket pin because I do not trust honda claiming they updated the parts. The total of the job is 45 mins. Anyone have any ideas to make me lighten up Im pisst off.:) I want to submit the bill to corparate honda. They claimed the first time it was updated and not going to break.

That sucks big time. I would have thought the 2nd one would do the job.

Have you spoken to Honda since the 2nd one broke?

Was this a 2nd original pin or the "official" service bulletin fix? The latter should have been a "warranty" issue that was officially tracked by the dealer with reporting back to corporate.

Sorry to hear about your problem, I think you have a good chance at getting it covered. I just had my update installed by the dealer this week and the service manager at OTD Cycle Sports here in Los Angeles informed me that the update I was getting was version 2.0 (the second update) as there was a problem with the first. I don't know if thats really true as I have not heard that anywhere else. My paper work says "decomp warranty R02"

Perhaps someone can confirm it?

Rob.

if it makes you feel better i am on my 3rd now so i broke the "supposed" updated one to. now though i actually have the new updated decomp pin kit with the new weight and all from Honda

i posted the part number awhile back in case anyone wanted to order it.

Hey if it makes you feel any better I still have two feet of snow on the ground and wont be able to practice before my first race in 2 1/2 weeks!

Well the first one Honda warrantied for me lasted 4 hours. They changed the cam the rocker arms and pin for what I dont know. They had my bike for 2 months. I pulled mine apart and all it needs is the pin. I orderd a aftermarket pin because I do not trust honda claiming they updated the parts. The total of the job is 45 mins. Anyone have any ideas to make me lighten up Im pisst off.:) I want to submit the bill to corparate honda. They claimed the first time it was updated and not going to break.

When you say Honda claimed the first replacement part was updated are you referring to the dealer telling you this or did you actually talk to someone at Honda yourself?

wow. ive got 30 some odd hours on my 09 and i recieved the piece of mail saying my bike needs to have the pin replaced... hasnt broke yet...lol it would be my luck that i change it out and the replacement breaks!!!

you getting the MDK one?? my buddy has one in his and it works fine. it doesn't solve the problem but it is so strong that it just won't break lol

Well after 2 times I refused to let honda touch my bike. And keep it tied up so I am installing a aftermarket pin.

just what i said, the MDK pin doesn't fix the issue of the decomp weight being wrong. it is just that the MDK pin is so strong when the decomp pops out it doesn't break the MDK pin. there is nothing wrong with that as far as i know as MDK states they have no issues and my friends has a few rides and it is fine. i chose to order the decomp update kit from honda which has the new proper weight and pin etc which "fixes" the problem

either way with the MDK pin or the update kit you will be fine no worries, enjoy be safe

what do you mean it doesnt fix the problem ?

someone in this forum said he broke the MDK too

I'd trust Honda since you don't know where the pin is going to fall and could do serious damage. If you take the MDK path Honda will not cover anything at all.

Good luck

if it makes you feel better, European bikes are having the same problem but Honda isnt taking care of it yet. Most of the bikes we buy in Spain are not imported through official Honda distributors and will not be covered by any kind of warranty.

honda would never know that it is a mdk pin. And there is not that much damage that the pin could do it cant fall in the head. The pin when it breaks is the size of a crumb. Usally does not go anywhere. Plus honda allreaddy fixed it once so good luck with ur reacall notice parts. I have them sitting in my toolbox if they break. I WRENCH my own bikes.

if it makes you feel better, European bikes are having the same problem but Honda isnt taking care of it yet. Most of the bikes we buy in Spain are not imported through official Honda distributors and will not be covered by any kind of warranty.

I'm here in Austria (which is in Europe and we don't have Kangaroos) and the replacement parts (06140-MEN-305) are lying on the desk beside me. My dealer called and asked if I want to have it installed or do it myself. This bike was bought at an official dealer who made me a very good price, but we do have the issue of imported bikes to save on taxes also. I guess with this bike it pays off to buy locally :)

Michael