Sign in to follow this  

Aussie 09DRZ400S-stoked by 2 recent mods

I know most of you guys will hate this, but I actually got my bike for Christmas from my brother!!! (Of course I was shocked). Being an 09 model S it looked great in white but I was subsequently disappointed with its road oreintation (as I had been saving up for a Kato 450). .... almost 3 months later and after a mega diet, the bike is now blitzing the mates in the bush. Still havent got a pipe on it yet (I am saving to import and MRD) but my 2 favoriet mods thus far are:

1) KTM fork guards as per thumper talk instructions

2) BB Aliminium exhaust pipe tip.

The latter was not a straight fwd mod, as it is designed to screw straight into an E model pipe not the S, but thanks to some mates from up north (MACS Engineering in Mackay) a plate was welded into and now looks factory. I couldn't beleive the weight of the baffel and junk inside the original pipe - I sware it weighed as much as the empty pipe afterwards.

Anyhow the BB tip is loud but not too loud... feels a lot stronger but I shall find out for sure when I race a mate with an 09 E model (he may have an FCR but otherwise it is stock and with my mods my bike is now lighter (plastic tank etc etc)).

Cheers,

DC

What kind of a plastic tank did you put on? When I changed out my stock tank for a 2.6 gal IMS I weighed them both and found the plastic tank to be less than a pound lighter. I do like it better because it lowers the front of the seat and holds the fuel a little lower.

What kind of a plastic tank did you put on? When I changed out my stock tank for a 2.6 gal IMS I weighed them both and found the plastic tank to be less than a pound lighter. I do like it better because it lowers the front of the seat and holds the fuel a little lower.

Wow then this means my IMS 3.2 saved me no weight. Also did you weigh them without the petcock?

I had a petcock on both tanks. The on/off/res I bought for the plastic tank and the stock one on the metal tank. I can't remember if I had the gas caps on or not. I dont' remember exactly but both were around 7 lb with the plastic one weighing in ~.5 to .75 pounds lighter. I was pretty surprised myself when I weighed them out.