Sign in to follow this  

XR400 Off Road Version, GPS Power Supply

Hi everybody, how can i power my GPS with 12Volt DC, when i checked the Voltage at the Headlight, i found that it is 12Volts AC! do i get the wrong readings?

Has anybody done this before?

Regards

It is AC. I just run mine off the internal batteries after I figured out how to make the GPS vibration proof. I read somewhere that some people are buying NiMH or NiCd rechargeable battery packs that are being charged by the XR's electrical system. Of course, the AC needs to be converted to DC and I suspect that is being done with diodes and capacitors.

Bear in mind that unless your GPS is designed to run on 12V, you would need to reduce the voltage through some form of a regulator.

Hi AGIA, thanks that's already some help, i have tryed to use a rectifier and an regulator but had no success.

Hi AGIA, thanks that's already some help, i have tryed to use a rectifier and an regulator but had no success.

Really? Why? Did you de-bug the problem? 12V AC yields ~16-17V DC out of a rectifier, which should easily regulate down to 12V DC with any cheezy linear step-down regulator. What did you get out of the regulator?

JayC

Take a look at this page to get an idea what I was talking about.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/C-124/BATTERIES+%26+REGULATORS

jayc250x is correct. What I don't know is if you're trying this with commercial, off-the-shelf components or are making your own design with discrete electronic parts (e.g. diodes, capacitors, and three terminal regulators like an LM 7812).

Without some form of battery power in your design, your GPS will lose power when the bike isn't running unless the GPS has internal batteries or your bike has the battery pack.

Hi jayc250x and AGIA, I have to clarify that I don't own the Bike I am only the Mechanic (sort of), I have used a Common Rectifier from the Electronics Store and a Comercial Regulator which came without a Diagram. It is alredeady a while ago that I did this and now the owner of the Bike asked me to check again what could be done, If you could give me some step by step instructions how to do it, that would be very helpfull but keep in mind that im in the Philippines and things here are not as easy to come by as in the US/UK, Regards

I don't have step by step instructions because I didn't implement this method to power my GPS. Instead, I made my GPS vibration proof physically soldering wires from the printed circuit board to the GPS' internal batteries. I just felt this was simpler.

When referring to the circuit I was describing, I was talking in terms of suggestions (I was an Electronics Engineer 21 years ago now but am no longer in the business ). I would do some internet research for schematics. But it sounds like you're on the right track using a rectifier diode. Make sure you have the diode's anode going to the power wire. The diode's cathode would go to the input of the regulator. This insures only the positive peaks of the AC voltage are coming out of the diode. You will need a lot of capacitance to smooth out the AC ripple which is common when using half-wave rectification.

Sorry I can't do more for you. See if this article is any help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectifier#Half-wave_rectification

Heres the cheapest way to do it. Good for up to ~100mA.

3369003436_5bdfbf821e.jpg

The zener part number isn't correct - that's a 12V one. Any zener in the rough range of 12-13V will work fine (you don't need exactly 12V out - anything w/in a few volts of that will work just fine). If you need more current, you can parallel up additional 1N1418s. You'll probably need a bigger cap too.

JayC

Hi and thanks again, i just read the Wicki Article and think now i got the basics, i will make an attempt next time i got the Bike in the Shop.

Regards

Cant you just nick a regulator/rectifier pack off another bike? there must be hundreds of written off bikes in the philapines, ive heard about SE asian moterists lol