Ideal KDX220 Mods

All,

I have a 1997 KDX 220 and ride woods and track (Weisco Piston and air box lid removed with new filter).

I do not race.

I want to know what the best mods are:

Boysen power reeds

VForce 3 reeds

RAD valves

FMF Gnarley (woods) pipe

FMF Turbine Core II

PCII Pipe

304 Silencer

Steathly 10oz fww

Carb

Head

Jetting

Front and Rear Sprocket Ratios?

Bash plate?

Pipe gaurd?

BTW - Where/what is the air box snorkle?

Byte

RB head mod, RB'd air striker carb, V-force 3 and Pro Circuit platinum 2 pipe. Will haul the mail.

ive ridden a 200 with these exact mods, it was too much

Thansk boys.

What does 'too much' mean?

Waht silener and sprocket size ratio do u recommend?

How is V-force 3 reeds different to Boyseen?

Byte

Thansk boys.

What does 'too much' mean?

Waht silener and sprocket size ratio do u recommend?

How is V-force 3 reeds different to Boyseen?

Byte

Here are the performance mods I did to mine:

FMF Gnarly Pipe

Jeff Fredette Torque Spacer

FMF Turbine Core II

Boyessen Reeds

Remove the Snorkle from the Airbox

Jet Kit

Decent performance gains from those, but if you really wanna wake up the beast in it, replace the PWK33mm Carb with the PWK35

Best performance mod I ever did to it, by far!

Not sure about being too much.

My '97 220 had the PC pipe, 607 reeds, airlid removed, RB carb/head mods and I really liked the results. Great power delivery, nice and crisp throttle response. With the mods, you dont loose much off the bottom end, but gain a ton from mid on. It allows you to ride either lugging a gear higher, or on the pipe. The hit is fairly mellow, not as much as a 250 mx, but enough to loft the front end at will. I ran it in a couple of harescrambles last year and it performed awesome. It seems to fit a good "C" or "B" rider.

I now have a '02 220 that I am setting up for tight woods and enduros. After fork conversion, it will get a FMF Gnarly "woods" pipe, 607 reeds and the RB head mod only. This is my brother's setup on his 220 and it will climb like a 450 thumper. It still has good snap, but has amazing low end that is great for the woods.

That is what is great about these bikes, they are so versitile and can be set up for your ability and terrain with low cost.

I run the stock silencer and gearing. I have had the FMF powercore 2 and the PC silencer and there are no performance advantages over the stock other than loosing the weight over the heavier stock silencer. I like the stock because you dont have to repack it and it is easy to clean out. Just remove the plug on the bottom of the silencer and rip around for a while. I have also run stock gearing and 13/50 on the 220 and prefer stock. It just seems to have good spacing with stock.

Hope this helps.

Where/what is the air box snorkle?

it was ebecks 03 hybrid. dont get me wrong that motor was fun, but compared to a stock kdx motor, its a little much on the terrain we intened our hybrids for, single track, and he tottaly lost his gas milage, which is important for us with a stock tank. not saying it isnt right for you, would have been an awesome track motor, or wide open desert. he didnt like how much power it had for ST

you said your airbox lid was removed? you dont have a snorkel, its the rubber boot that goes into the lid

Where/what is the air box snorkle?

I notice in your first post you said the air box lid was removed. If so, the snorkle went bye bye with the lid.:)

:foul: Just noticed Sean beat me to it. :banghead: :banghead:

This worked well for me

2000 KAWASAKI KDX200

2001 KX125 inverted forks revalved for enduro

Rear shock revalved by Jeff Fredette

WER steering damper

Fork low profile speed bleeders

Fat bars with risers

RB designs carb and head mods for 92 octane

FMF Gnarly pipe (desert series)

FMF TCII silencer

70W stator, 55w halogen headlight

Steahly flywheel weight

FRP chain guard

Wiseco piston

Trials tire

Ultra heavy duty inner tubes

Aluminum skid plate

MX rear fender with LED tail light

IMS footpegs

I notice in your first post you said the air box lid was removed. If so, the snorkle went bye bye with the lid.:)

:foul: Just noticed Sean beat me to it. :banghead: :banghead:

Thansk boys!

This worked well for me

2000 KAWASAKI KDX200

2001 KX125 inverted forks revalved for enduro

Rear shock revalved by Jeff Fredette

WER steering damper

Fork low profile speed bleeders

Fat bars with risers

RB designs carb and head mods for 92 octane

FMF Gnarly pipe (desert series)

FMF TCII silencer

70W stator, 55w halogen headlight

Steahly flywheel weight

FRP chain guard

Wiseco piston

Trials tire

Ultra heavy duty inner tubes

Aluminum skid plate

MX rear fender with LED tail light

IMS footpegs

Some intersting mods.

brand of skid plate and pipe guard?

Why WER steerign damper over others?

Why 2001 KX125 inverted forks? Woudl these fit the KDX 1997 220?

Byte

Everything was already done by the previous owner. I just wrote the check. It is everything I have ever wanted in a woods bike, no complaints whatsoever and I ride it EVERY weekend. The skidplate is a MOOSE and I added the foam between the frame to keep the crud out. No pipe guard. I believe the WER damper was price driven.

125 forks should work on 96 on up but you need the triple clamps as well

thanks - why use the 125 forks specifically?

Are these 125 forks special?

Byte

That is a good question and I do not know. www.kdxrider.net is the place to look for answers. They were completely redone by motopro in Woodinville by the previous owner. They are very soft and work well for the kind of riding I do. I am into my bike $2,400 total and my brother has that just in mods on his 2003 for the exact same thing.

Thanks mate.

Your thoughts on the FWW as a mod?

Byte

In slow tight technical stuff it made a difference. Based on a stock bike I rode mine does not stall as easy but still does not have the grunt my XR250 does, But the XR does not have the "hit" either

I just helped a friend of mine install a FMF Gnarly pipe and Boyesen Reeds to his KDX220, in addition to opening the airbox. Now we're wondering what the proper jetting would be. We live in Colorado at about 5000' elevation. Everything goes up from here, which means it needs to operate up to 10,000 feet, so figure a compromise of about 7,500 feet. Does anyone have any recommendations on pilot, main jetting and needle clip position? 

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 10:57 PM, kcomst said:

I just helped a friend of mine install a FMF Gnarly pipe and Boyesen Reeds to his KDX220, in addition to opening the airbox. Now we're wondering what the proper jetting would be. We live in Colorado at about 5000' elevation. Everything goes up from here, which means it needs to operate up to 10,000 feet, so figure a compromise of about 7,500 feet. Does anyone have any recommendations on pilot, main jetting and needle clip position? 

Try and sift through posts here on high altitude KDX jetting.