Sign in to follow this  

First Bike....Questions on '07 DRZ400SM

Hi everyone,

I'm getting my first bike soon, for ins. purposes (in Ontario we pay a lot of $$$$ to be able to ride), ease of riding and maint. I've decided to purchase a used '07 DRZ400SM with 6500 Miles on it (little over 10,000 Km's) for $3750US ($4500 CAD) - I think it's a decent price. It'll be used for commuting to work and zipping around Toronto. I will need to get a new rear tire for safety and perhaps change the chain. Are there any pics that show the removal process for the rear wheel? I'd like to take only the wheel and tire into a shop to get it replaced rather than the entire bike. I was told I have to loosen the chain by loosening the bolt that pushes the rear wheel back, remove the pin and slip out the wheel...is it that easy?

Also regarding the chain...

How easy is it to replace myself? Are there any step-by-step guides to the process? Should I try to replace the sprockets at the same time? Any help is appreciated!

I have VERY limited exp. on bikes let alone anything mechanical, I'd love to start working on my DRZ to learn a few things about bikes.

Hopefully you guys/girls will see more of me around here!

Rear wheel removal is like you described.

It's wise to turn out the 2 screws holding the chain guard ,as these tend to rub against the tire when fitting/removing.

It's maybe a 10 minutes job first time removing the wheel.

When fitting again , slide the rear calipen in place before putting the wheel back.

Don't touch your rear brake when the wheel is off.

Good luck:thumbsup:

$3750 sounds like a damn good deal if the bike is in good condition! I paid $4800 for mine 6 months ago, same year and miles.

Just picked up the same bike, blue 2007 SM 6100KM for $4500. I'm in Toronto as well, I know my way around a bike pretty good, you ever need a hand I am at Dufferin and Bloor have a garage and always workin' on somethin'! Pm me if you ever want some help or go for a rip:ride:

cheers,

D

when removing the rear wheel also remove the chain guide.it will get in the way of the tire.the stock chain is a continuious type chain.there isnt ant master link to remove so to change it out you need to grind off the rivets on a link and punch the link out.when you get a new chain it will come with a master link and when replacing the chain replace the fr and rear sprokets.

also make sure you have a good stand to keep the bike stable

I agree with the post regarding buying a manual. Yes they're expensive, and yes they're worth it. However, the second thing you should buy, if you are new at this, is a decent set of metric tools. Everything is easier with the right tools. And no, I'm not a tool salesman.

If Chain is worn it is best to replace Sprockets as well, they seem to wear in together and work or hooked sprockets can cause a chain to give up prematurely. Look into a matching O Ring chain and lifetime sprockets. I have seen a number at shows. I personally like the Sidewinder Ti Moly wO ring chain.