Sign in to follow this  

RMX450. Is it here yet?

Looks rear nice except 1.6 gallon tank and 270 lb curb weight!! 1.6 gallon tank for an off road bike. ***. Also, the new fuel injected RMZ450 is the heaviest of the 450 moto bikes (even heavier than the electric start KTM), so this will probably be the heaviest off road 450. I sure like the way the Suzukis handle and turn and the motor on the RMZ450 hauls. Not to mention the fuel injection - Colorado to Arizona - no problem. I guess the gloves are off. Honda will probably do the same thing to the new 450 and it will probably weigh 15 - 20 lbs less. It's getting really interesting....

It looks really nice,the tank would have to be upgraded,it looks aluminum in the pic.the japanese need to make a plated version of there offroad bikes imo.

Hopefully we'll have the option of installing the X's wider gears and maybe the e-start in the RMZ. I don't want an offroad bike that weighs over 240.

Looks rear nice except 1.6 gallon tank and 270 lb curb weight!! 1.6 gallon tank for an off road bike. ***. Also, the new fuel injected RMZ450 is the heaviest of the 450 moto bikes (even heavier than the electric start KTM), so this will probably be the heaviest off road 450. I sure like the way the Suzukis handle and turn and the motor on the RMZ450 hauls. Not to mention the fuel injection - Colorado to Arizona - no problem. I guess the gloves are off. Honda will probably do the same thing to the new 450 and it will probably weigh 15 - 20 lbs less. It's getting really interesting....

Actually the kawi is the heaviest it outweighs the suzuki by 3 pounds at 250 and the Honda comes in at about 235.

The RMZ is 224... The RMX is 272... Sounds about right for a magneto, battery, headlight and electric start plus extras.

Steve

I'm in love with the new RMX! I was in love with the EFI RMZ, but this... this is exactly what I wanted! A Suzuki, off-road bike, with EFI, and the body stylings of the 08/09 RMZ450! Although, I have to say I'm very dissapointed in Suzuki. they most definatley should have stuck with the Yellow and blue body styling like the 08's had. IMO

The weight of the bike doesn't bother me as much as the fuel capacity. Getting a larger tank would be tough if not impossible. Messing with that fuel pump is the last thing I would want to do even if there was an optional tank. I think they did a half a s s job producing this bike. I wouldn't buy it if I had money to burn, but if someone gave it to me for free I'd take it lol..............

The RMZ is 224... The RMX is 272... Sounds about right for a magneto, battery, headlight and electric start plus extras.

Steve

The RMZ is 247 with fuel ready to go not 224!

The weight of the bike doesn't bother me as much as the fuel capacity. Getting a larger tank would be tough if not impossible. Messing with that fuel pump is the last thing I would want to do even if there was an optional tank. I think they did a half a s s job producing this bike. I wouldn't buy it if I had money to burn, but if someone gave it to me for free I'd take it lol..............

Are you high? Switching tanks is easy! It took me 15 minutes to swap to the larger IMS tank and put my fuel pump in it.

Ok, lets think here... it has the same exact body design as the RMZ, that means you coud easily get a IMS oversized tank for the RMZ and mount it right to the RMX. With the fuel pump theres really no messing around involved... Its bolted into the bottom of the tank and is sealed with a gasket. just unbolt the pump, bolt it up to the new tank, place the tank and shrouds on the bike and go! nothing to it! :worthy:

EDIT: THERES NO F-ING WAY SUZUKI DID A HALF ASS JOB ON THIS BIKE!!!

With the poor economy Suzuki is probably trying to cut costs and use their existing inventory of the aluminum tanks on the RMZX. I wouldn't be suprised if the X uses the 08/09 RMZ frame and existing parts to use up excessive inventory. Seems like most manufacture's offroad bikes lag the MX bikes by at least a year or 2. KTM is notorious for using the old inventory on the woods bikes (cast clamps, open chamber forks, older frames, etc...). They always use a sales pitch to say that the older stuff is better for the woods but then in a year or 2 the woods bikes have the new stuff.

just built both and there is a lot of identical parts on each bike but the rmx has a few restrictors (throttle stop and probably FI mapping)that will have to be removed or changed before she will run right! have a call into suzuki to find out what is needed to derestrict the bike.

Hey ask them what would be needed to add the E start to the rmz

Just by looking at the pictures of the left side of the bike, you would need the head, cylinder, left engine case and the mag cover. Plus all of the goodies like the starter, the flywheel with the ring gear, the wire harness and the battery and battery tray.

In short, it would be cheaper and easier to buy the RMX.

just built both and there is a lot of identical parts on each bike but the rmx has a few restrictors (throttle stop and probably FI mapping)that will have to be removed or changed before she will run right! have a call into suzuki to find out what is needed to derestrict the bike.

So not only have you seen one in person, but you actually got to play with it!!! :banghead:

I don't understand why this would have a throttle stop, but if it does, it could have something to do with it being a Cali Green Sticker bike. In any case, if you have one then how about posting a pic?

Dirt Bike or some other mag should have the scoop on this and what to do to unrestrict it. Heck, Eddie may even have a remap solution for it already! :cheers: