Sign in to follow this  

06 KLR 650 mod ?'s

Hey all, went to start my brother in law's 06 KLR 650 this weekend, and it wouldn't idle at all without the choke on, so I deduced that besacuse it had sat all winter and this was the first time starting it this year that the carb had varnished up, and was in need of a good cleaning. So we disassembled the carb, and found that the diaphragm was torn about a 1/4 inch. The PO had done the Dave's mods, and I need to find out what size to drill the hole in the slide, and also the thickness of the washer under the needle is supposed to be, as there is 2 washers in there now. How many turns out does the fuel screw need to be? Also does anyone have pics of the airbox after modifications. He just got this bike last year, and almost sold it because of the way it ran, and I am trying to get this thumper some spirit back in it for fear of the scrap heap. This is my first time working on a Kawi 4 stroke, as I have always rode honda and though similar processes, the specs are different.

For the diaphragm go to the Harley (really) shop, they have the best price on it.... aparently they use the CVK40 on something, P/N 27585-88. I think the two little washers go on top of the needle to hold it down, there is a cage for the spring that rides against them. Without them the needle will "migrate". The "22 cent" mod is one or two #4 machine screw washers placed under the needle. The mixture screw needs to be 2 to 2 1/2 turns out. Drilling the slide is a questionable practice.... I think the number is 7/64, but easy to check. The "L" mod is where you cut out the top of the air box... it's an obvious pattern, just cut the "L" shape you see on top of the box. I drilled 4 holes about 1 1/4" diameter.

Search KLR.net or KLR World sites.

other good stuff:

http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html

For the diaphragm go to the Harley (really) shop, they have the best price on it.... aparently they use the CVK40 on something, P/N 27585-88. I think the two little washers go on top of the needle to hold it down, there is a cage for the spring that rides against them. Without them the needle will "migrate". The "22 cent" mod is one or two #4 machine screw washers placed under the needle. The mixture screw needs to be 2 to 2 1/2 turns out. Drilling the slide is a questionable practice.... I think the number is 7/64, but easy to check. The "L" mod is where you cut out the top of the air box... it's an obvious pattern, just cut the "L" shape you see on top of the box. I drilled 4 holes about 1 1/4" diameter.

Search KLR.net or KLR World sites.

other good stuff:

http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html

+1 good info

You're looking at .020"-.025" per washer.

and also the thickness of the washer under the needle is supposed to be, as there is 2 washers in there now.