Sign in to follow this  

Ice Tires/Riding

I just got my first bike ever ('06 DRZ400S) this past fall and got bitten hard by the bug :banghead: . Living in the great white north, I got my bike just in time for it to be packed away in the garage :) , so I decided to rig up some studded tires for some winter fun. I bought a set of Kenda Trackmasters because they are cheap and readily available around here and installed Tapcon cement screws in the rear and MF44 360 ice screws in the front.

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

The next couple months brought more snow than I've seen in many years :foul: so I wasn't able to try out my tires on ice for quite a while..

WinterTires003.jpg

WinterTires005.jpg

Luckily the driveway had a thick layer of ice on it, so at least I was able to play a little bit, although it got old pretty fast being confined to the driveway.

WinterTires010.jpg

WinterTires009.jpg

WinterTires008.jpg

Finally, this weekend past, Mother Nature decided to cooperate enough for a couple of us to go play on the ice. :):banghead: :banghead: Saturday, we played on groomed snowmobile trails :p and a large bay and Sunday we played on a river.

022.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

We are keeping our fingers crossed for good weather this week so we can repeat again next weekend. Ice riding is so much fun I'm surprised it isn't illegal. It sure is nice to have a way to break up the long winter otherwise I think I might have gone crazy before the spring came.

aint it fun? It's up there with the most fun u can have with ur clothes on i'd say.

You've got that right. At first, your brain recoils in horror when it realizes what your about to do:eek: :) , but once you get on the ice and feel how much grip those tires give its nothing but a big s**t eating grin on your face after that. I always used to hate winter, but not anymore....

I'm kinda surprised at how few people are interested in this type of activity to break up the winter.....maybe most have snowmobiles... :)

That looks like a blast I always thought I was super lucky over in Cali cause the weather is great (except rain), but that looks like a blast!!!

That's a great video...looks like a blast. We haven't set up a track like that yet...we just have done ovals and WFO all over the bay/down the river. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we can try that this weekend :) .

What did you use to stud your tires and how do you like it?