Sign in to follow this  

notchy feeling at top of fork stroke

Just noticed if I rock the bike back and forth slowly theres a notchy feeling close to the top of the stroke and the wheel seems to jolt back and forth a little. At first I thought it was the forks but since they seem ok. Wheel has no side-to-side movement so bearings should be ok. Thinking its the brake caliper or possibly head bearings?

A slight wear in the bushings in the forks will do that. If you can change fork seals then the bushings are just as easy to do. So its either that or the head bearings are loose or bad.

You might be feeling the floating brake rotor moving front to back a bit. They will always have a bit of play in them. Try the same thing with the front wheel against a wall instead of using the brakes to hold the front wheel still.

You might be feeling the floating brake rotor moving front to back a bit. They will always have a bit of play in them. Try the same thing with the front wheel against a wall instead of using the brakes to hold the front wheel still.

Floating rotor?

DR650?

Floating rotor?

DR650?

That's what I was wondering. Then I remembered that Galfer now has a wave rotor for the DR, a floating one at that!

GalferWaveRotor1.JPG

thanks for the tip. Smooth as silk when holding the back brake on and pumping the forks against a wall. When I back it away and use the front brake theres a bit of play. Does anyone elses bike have any play in the caliper or pads at all?