Sign in to follow this  

Thinking about racing...

Hey. I've been riding about 6 weeks but I rode for about a year when I was 11 on a 60. I've only been to the MX track twice but I've ridden trails and stuff 4-5 times. I can clear the biggest jumps at the track, the only one I can't clear is a smaller double because the turn before it kills my speed.

I'm wondering how long people usually ride before they race.

Another question I have is about getting sprayed with rocks and dirt... every time someone passes me at practice I get hit in the hands, arms, chin with dirt. I have a chest protector but it still sucks. I'm sure it's gonna be real bad during a race... any suggestions? Like, if someone passes me right before a jump, and I get pelted with rocks, it's really hard to actually hit the jump because I'm more focused on not getting pelted.

Here's a video of me but it was taken like an hour before I learned to clear a bunch of stuff. I got a lot better in one night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnRuk-_DSx8

Go for it,,,,,,,,Just concentrate on finishing the race, Dont even worry about the win, Especially with your lack of recent riding and practice.

As for the being pelted with rocks and stuff, you gotta move that focus to the jump. Hitting a jump in the wrong body position becuase of some dirt and rock could have dire consequences.

Keep us posted, I raced my first and only race so far last year. It was a rush to say the least, one thing I did notice was the field became spead out very quickly, I raced most of it with no one else close to me, I finish 7th over all in my class.

Go for it,,,,,,,,Just concentrate on finishing the race, Dont even worry about the win, Especially with your lack of recent riding and practice.

As for the being pelted with rocks and stuff, you gotta move that focus to the jump. Hitting a jump in the wrong body position becuase of some dirt and rock could have dire consequences.

Keep us posted, I raced my first and only race so far last year. It was a rush to say the least, one thing I did notice was the field became spead out very quickly, I raced most of it with no one else close to me, I finish 7th over all in my class.

I'm just kinda paranoid about getting pelted by 40 other bikes in last place at the start, lol.

Wow your awesome for not riding too much:thumbsup:

Definitely go for it, but hold your line and just try to finish:thumbsup:

just do it it will be fun! my no. 1 tip is dont be nervous i was very nervous my first race and it wore me out so quick! and for being hit with rocks use your visor for that just tilt your head down

go for it.......i'm thinking of doing my first race this year too....we will see how that pans out......good luck

I say go for it man if you never do then youll always wonder, im about to enter my first race also and i just gotta go back to racetown and comp edge to get some more practice in.

other than that i look forward to finishing the race and not position.

gradually ill build up to getting better but heck have fun with it , im pretty sure if everyone was in it for the Win and not having fun then we wouldnt have so many riders

Just go for it set a goal for yourself like they said just to finish the race then try and progress your goals up to not finishing last and so on and so on. you will get way faster going to races and trying your ass off then just riding around local tracks and trails.

Hey. I've been riding about 6 weeks but I rode for about a year when I was 11 on a 60. I've only been to the MX track twice but I've ridden trails and stuff 4-5 times. I can clear the biggest jumps at the track, the only one I can't clear is a smaller double because the turn before it kills my speed.

I'm wondering how long people usually ride before they race.

Another question I have is about getting sprayed with rocks and dirt... every time someone passes me at practice I get hit in the hands, arms, chin with dirt. I have a chest protector but it still sucks. I'm sure it's gonna be real bad during a race... any suggestions? Like, if someone passes me right before a jump, and I get pelted with rocks, it's really hard to actually hit the jump because I'm more focused on not getting pelted.

Here's a video of me but it was taken like an hour before I learned to clear a bunch of stuff. I got a lot better in one night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnRuk-_DSx8

dont worry bout jumping remember this "Jump for the Show turn For the Dough" turning is your speed so practice that smaller double you cant clear and get that one..and yes everyone can be ready to race there is a class for you at your locl race i rode like 5 or 6 times and had fun at my first race

I rode four times before I raced but I used to race BMX bikes before hand so it was all natural feeling except for the power!!! Not to sound like im tooting my own horn because im not because I came in last my first race and was even beat by a girl HAHAHAHAHA I still love it to this day how it turned out. A month later I tore my acl and was out for a year when i got back to riding I was interested in oklahoma mx it was tough and really rough the key essentials to building your endurance. I raced the state series in 02 and won my first race back by so much they sent a letter in the mail telling me to move up due to the fact I wasnt being fair by racing the beginner class. Just good luck start early and race with the fastest guys you can thats the only way to accelerate your speed and confidence the quickest you can

I just raced for my 2nd time ever this past Sunday and had a fun time. No ER stop afterward like my 1st race. Until I told the guys at work I got sixth out of 8 guys. "You spend so much time and money, and all you could do was 6th!!!!!" When I asked how he would have done, he said "I would never be stupid enough to compete in an event where I didn't have a good chance of winning".

look at Moto Playground's magazine and hand your friend the magazine where it quotes the late presidents famous qoute and tell him to quite being such a wuss Thats what i would do EB

I just raced for my 2nd time ever this past Sunday and had a fun time. No ER stop afterward like my 1st race. Until I told the guys at work I got sixth out of 8 guys. "You spend so much time and money, and all you could do was 6th!!!!!" When I asked how he would have done, he said "I would never be stupid enough to compete in an event where I didn't have a good chance of winning".

6th out of 8 is not bad for a 2nd race. Screw that guy at work, He sounds like one of those clowns who talks about stuff and never competes. Whats he compete in Darts? I never bought my bike intending to race, I only wanted to ride and have fun, the race was a bonus. The adrenaline high from the gate drop is worth all the money I have spent. What a jerk!!! You improved from DNF to 6th, Next time you should work on better than 6th!

I gotta say you broke the golden rule on your 1st race------"1st race, your only concern should be to finish the race" (unless someone crashed into you)

PS MAN THAT MAKES ME MAD WHEN SOME ONE JUDGES LIKE THAT AND THEY HAVE NO IDEA

PPS KEEP US POSTED ON THE NEXT RACE, GL AND CONGRATES

Sounds to me that gAy has never done anything with his life and may never.

So many great peaple, so few started that way.:thumbsup:

I have not raced in 30 years, I bought my first dirt bike last week since 1980. I will ride just to ride, but my main focus is to race again. I just really that feeling, the rush.

I dont care if I win, I just want to finish in one (still functioning) piece.

I hear it almost everyday from someone, that I am crazy to want to race, but I will race this season. The way I look at it, I will be racing my rear tire, as long as finish in front of my rear tire I will be ok.

I am in the same boat as you, before my first race I would go to the local MX track to practice and I would normally spend the day getting roosted with rocks and mud. What I found was when you go to a crowded practice track filled with A class riders that are spread all over the track this will happen a lot.

However, during my first race I found that once the main pack went by it was almost like just riding by myself. As long as the main pack didnt lap me I was clear of most of the mud and rock slinging. Also, as you progess you learn how to avoid the dreaded roost. I think that just comes naturally as part of the human instinct for self preservation.

On the day of the race I told myself that I was a beginner and I was not there to win, I was just there to get a decent start, not come in last, not get lapped, and not crash. With that goal in mind I was not nervous at all and did acheive all my goals. It was a very positive first race for me because I approched it realistically.

6th out of 8 is not bad for a 2nd race. Screw that guy at work, He sounds like one of those clowns who talks about stuff and never competes. Whats he compete in Darts? I never bought my bike intending to race, I only wanted to ride and have fun, the race was a bonus. The adrenaline high from the gate drop is worth all the money I have spent. What a jerk!!! You improved from DNF to 6th, Next time you should work on better than 6th!

I gotta say you broke the golden rule on your 1st race------"1st race, your only concern should be to finish the race" (unless someone crashed into you)

PS MAN THAT MAKES ME MAD WHEN SOME ONE JUDGES LIKE THAT AND THEY HAVE NO IDEA

Well, I kind of understand where he was coming from. He was thinking like when a friend of mine entered a cheese-steak eating contest (a guy who never finishes a single small cheese-steak). He naturally got last, but did still get a cheap lunch.

The guy at work knows nothing about motorcycles, racing of any sort, so certainly knows nothing about MX.

I suspected it was an unusually fast crowd last weekend. This was confirmed yesterday at Pagoda MC, round 1 of the District 6 Ultimate Series. Out of 30 guys I got 18th moto 1, then 11th moto 2 for 12th overall (30+C again). This was a big race, with 850 or so entries total. Now I will be more comfortable in the "regular" races with fewer entries.

And yeah, I know I broke the "golden rule" in my 1st race, and I suffered a big penalty for it...:thumbsup:

EDIT:

And I do have to point out, 1st race was NOT a DNF... I toughed it out and finished (in last mind you) with a broken clavicle.

EDIT:

And I do have to point out, 1st race was NOT a DNF... I toughed it out and finished (in last mind you) with a broken clavicle.

now that is what I am talkin about right there!!!!!

That guy at your work can still kiss my a$$

Figured I'd update this thread with my results from yesterday's race. My first trophy ever; and it was 1st place! I got 2-1 for the overall. Definitely not the fastest crowd I've raced against, but it was definitely fun!