Sign in to follow this  

Arguement with my Dad

My dad seems to think that a CR125 would be a huge waste of money for the type of riding I do. He says they're much too loud to drive anywheres, wayyy too fast for the trails, they're expensive to keep running, hard to maintain and that I will end up dumping all my money into it. Back in the eighties, he had friends who had motocross bikes they couldn't handle. He wants me to get somthing more like a 230 or a 250 but I've diven them before and liked them but I will never be able to afford one. He says motocross bikes are no good for anything but racing aroung a track. I'm 14 years old, 140 ish pounds, and about 5'8. I ride on fireroads, fairly open trails that do get tight in some spots, and ride in gravel and dirt pits. I may be wrong thinking I could ride a CR in the woods. If I'm right, what could I say to my dad to convince him a CR wouldn't be a giant waste of money?

My dad seems to think that a CR125 would be a huge waste of money for the type of riding I do. He says they're much too loud to drive anywheres, wayyy too fast for the trails, they're expensive to keep running, hard to maintain and that I will end up dumping all my money into it. Back in the eighties, he had friends who had motocross bikes they couldn't handle. He wants me to get somthing more like a 230 or a 250 but I've diven them before and liked them but I will never be able to afford one. He says motocross bikes are no good for anything but racing aroung a track. I'm 14 years old, 140 ish pounds, and about 5'8. I ride on fireroads, fairly open trails that do get tight in some spots, and ride in gravel and dirt pits. I may be wrong thinking I could ride a CR in the woods. If I'm right, what could I say to my dad to convince him a CR wouldn't be a giant waste of money?

If your used market is anything like around here, you can barely give 125s away anymore. You can get into a decent shape '02-03 CR125 for $1000-$1500. I bought a brand new one ('06) for $3000 last year, pretty much just because I could.

A 125 is great in the woods (I ride a GasGas 125xc, among other things) because it's so light, but you'll have some trouble with the stiff MX suspension, forks particularly. Woods suspension needs to be softer, especially high-speed damping, which is completely controlled by internal valving. Re-valves can cost a couple of hundred dollars, but if you are mechanically inclined, you can do a revalve yourself - it's not rocket science. There's good information on suspension work around this site.

Since your dad is worried about noise (and rightly so), even though a CR125 is fairly quiet as 2-stinks go, if you do get one, do everybody a favor and spend a few extra bucks and buy an FMF "The Q" silencer for it.

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FMF%2DQ2&CartID=

If your dad needs some more convincing, tell him if he let's you buy the 125, you'll re-shingle the roof this summer. That'll get him on board...:)

JayC

Nothing is ever too fast for the trails!! They're much cheaper to keep running than a 4 stroke. Simply because on a 4 stroke when you change the oil you have to change oil filters which aren't expensive but every 3 or 4 rides, it adds up. Where as 2 strokes you just dump the oil (transmission fluid) and add more and that's it, no filters or anything. To rebuild my old 4 stroke it cost me $1200, just in parts and I did most of the labor. However, with the 2 stroke I can rebuild the entire top end ( piston, gaskets, bearings, pin, and circlips) in about 3 hours and about $200 and have a brand new bike. It's a little more difficult to ride in tighter trails but once you get used to it you'll have more fun because 2ts are a lot lighter and easier to maneuver. Your dad giving you crap is never gonna end, I'm 23 with my own house and everything, when I traded my 4 stroke for 2t he gave me so much crap and still does to this day. It won't be a giant waste of money. Good Luck!!:)

• Like 1

simply tell your dad off and buy get a job and buy the bike you want aha wat i did and now got a 250r:) wont say s*it to me now

simply tell your dad off and buy get a job and buy the bike you want aha wat i did and now got a 250r:) wont say s*it to me now

Like I said, if his dad is that much against 2ts he's never gonna stop giving him crap. Just learn how to ride it and smoke him on the trails then he'll leave you alone.:)

...and a CR125 is quiter than the new 4 strokes

That's not true. It's quieter than a 4-s race bike, and the CRs are pretty quiet, but my stock-piped CRF250X sounds like a sewing machine.

JayC

That's not true. It's quieter than a 4-s race bike, and the CRs are pretty quiet, but my stock-piped CRF250X sounds like a sewing machine.

true, but I have never seen a stock pipe on a 4 stroke myself. everyone promptly installs some loudass land-closing pipe on their thumpers.

JayC

Of course he meant quieter than the MX based four strokes. The woods-ified MX bikes (250X WR250F) are quiet bone stock. I have a KLR250 that's quieter than your X. :banghead: I do believe the OP can't afford either bike though.

You gotta make it clear to your Dad that bikes have changed since the mid 80s. IMO, two strokes are very easy to ride on trails if you're interested and love them to begin with. :)

80's 2-strokes whine and whine and whine they have no balls and no thump like the newer 2-strokes, there lighter and much more easy to manuver than a 4-stroke, sure trail riding with a 2-stroke might be a little harder but hell itll just teach u clutch and throttle control, a 2-stroke is cheaper to maintain but make sure u keep up with the maintance, believe me i had the same problem with my dad he wanted me to get a 250 4-stroker how did i solve the problem i got a job and paid for the bike myself and i respect the bike a lot more seeing as how i paid for it myself and if u think being 14 ull never make enough to buy it u will i was 14 when i bought my yz125

all the guys i race with have 2 strokes and u have a 4 and theirs are muc quieter and my dad didnt want me to get a two stroke either. I think on a 2 stroke though since their harder to ride u become a better rider.

Sounds like a plan to me.:):banghead: :banghead:

What's with the tell the Dad off mentality? If I tried to tell my dad off my teeth would be down my throat. Talk nicely and work to buy your own bike. If not tell him about the quieter spark arrestors and how cheaply you could get a newer 125 2 stroke and gear it a little down with a countershaft sprocket. Buy or borrow any world enduro videos where the euros are racing 125 2 strokes and watch the video with your Dad. You wont have to tell him anything when he watches ktm, gasgas, and other 125 2 strokes ripping the trails up. Try not to argue with your Dad. I argued with my Dad for many years and it is better to get along. Your lucky you have a Dad.:)

• Like 2

Thanks everybody for the feedback! I didn't make it clear that I have been paying for all dirt bike related things and will be buying whatever bike I want because it's my money. I just need a way to tell him I'm not wasting my money on a 125. He's not just being an ass, he just doesn't want me to throw my money away. If I do get a 125 and anything happens, I will never hear the end of it. It is almost impossible to change my Dads opinion so I need proof of everything.

So far I have,

They're cheaper to fix and maintain,

They're lighter and easier to handle,

They can be geared down easily,

They aren't that loud,

They ARE capable to ride in the woods, they accually make great trail bikes,

Once I am used to it it will be a blast to ride.

Did I miss anythying?

u might miss some top end in the dunes but thats a con not a pro. Oh and u can alays get cool grpahics and other cosmetics to make it look cool lol if that helps

Sounds like a plan to me.:banghead: :banghead: :foul:

alright buddeh sounded like his dad wasent into the whole bike thing and is always one of those guys that tryin tp put ya down ive met a few in my day so leave it at that and bra get the 125 wats your heights and weight ?:)

So far I have,

They're cheaper to fix and maintain,

They're lighter and easier to handle,

They can be geared down easily,

They aren't that loud,

They ARE capable to ride in the woods, they accually make great trail bikes,

Once I am used to it it will be a blast to ride.

Did I miss anythying?

- No valve adjustments

- No oil filters

- Two strokes rarely overheat unlike a four stroke

- No valve seat cutting

- No cam or valve seat, shims, buckets, or valves to replace

- No timing chain to replace or adjust

- They do take more gas but if you run castor oil - it all smells Grrrreat!

- 2T is easier to restart if you crash

- OEM and aftermarket parts are typically cheaper

- Replacing a top end is easier on the 2T vs. 4T

- Quality pre-mix oil is cheaper than quality MX 4T oil

- Replacing a spark plug is simpler on the 2T, accessing the carburetor and making changes to it is easier on the 2T

- and stuff

• Like 1