Sign in to follow this  

Found TE610 on craigslist, just wondering...

I found a 1998 Husqvarna TE610 on my local craigslist for 2500. Bike has 283 km on the clock and has been garaged and supposedly oil changed periodically. Just wondering if this is a decent/good deal and if there is anything specific I should look out for in this bike. Also is there any significant manufacturing difference between 1998 and now? More like what are the major changes?

Thanks a lot. This forum has been very helpful for me and I can't wait to help where I can in return.

I found a 1998 Husqvarna TE610 on my local craigslist for 2500. Bike has 283 km on the clock and has been garaged and supposedly oil changed periodically. Just wondering if this is a decent/good deal and if there is anything specific I should look out for in this bike. Also is there any significant manufacturing difference between 1998 and now? More like what are the major changes?

Thanks a lot. This forum has been very helpful for me and I can't wait to help where I can in return.

Those are good bikes. Long lasting if taken care of. Seems like an OK price for one in nice condition.

The frame and swingarm are similar, the rest is totally different. The motor is the old school left kicker. A great motor, strong and reliable but vibrates a good amount and does not have the street manners the new one with the all new bottom end does. Conventional forks. Different plastic.

what are you planning to use it for?

2007%5C05%5C17%5Cbikepics-901350-800.jpg

TE610.jpg

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/husqvana/husqvarna_te610e%2096.htm

it's big

....it's a brute

.......it vibrates.....well, I'd say "it shakes"..:)

.......hope that you never have to kick it

parts are expensive

.....yes, you'll need to make friends with the parts counter kid

the dr650 & xr650 are way more reliable

the HUSKY has way better suspension...and it needs it too as fast as the bike is

the motor is actually only 576cc....but it still packs plenty of wallop

...yes, it's FAST & can be a handful in the rough stuff

if you're looking for "just a dirt bike"....I'd look at something smaller & less powerful

if you're looking for a nice dual-sport or maybe an adventure bike, well.....I'd look at the Honda or SUZUKI, but if you want a HUSKY, look at the newer 610s which are way better & way more refined & way more reliable....but parts still cost a lot when you need them

hope this helps:thumbsup:

post up some pics when you finally buy a ride:smirk:

I also posted on the DP site where you first asked the question

Those bikes are as reliable as any with proper maint like oil changes and clean air filters. Beemerwolf apparently doesn't realize it is kick only ! And I doubt with the low miles you will have to know the parts kid. Oh that bike is probably orv only which kind of sucks.

• Like 1

[quote name=

parts are expensive

.....yes, you'll need to make friends with the parts counter kid

the dr650 & xr650 are way more reliable

if you're looking for a nice dual-sport or maybe an adventure bike, well.....I'd look at the Honda or SUZUKI, ...but parts still cost a lot when you need them[/quote]

I'm not sure where dude is getting his info from, Husky's

are as reliable as any other make if taken care of properly.

The DR650? BORING ! I'd put it right along side the

KLR650 in the "boring d/s bike catagory unless you're just

a pavement rider.

The XR650 ? Great bike... but I'd rather own a Husky.

Any bike that's over ten years old is going to be a risk but

it looks like it's in good shape. I'd keep looking around for a

newer Husky if you can find one you won't be disappointed.:)

I'm not sure where dude is getting his info from, Husky's

are as reliable as any other make if taken care of properly.

The DR650? BORING ! I'd put it right along side the

KLR650 in the "boring d/s bike catagory unless you're just

a pavement rider.

The XR650 ? Great bike... but I'd rather own a Husky.

Any bike that's over ten years old is going to be a risk but

it looks like it's in good shape. I'd keep looking around for a

newer Husky if you can find one you won't be disappointed.:)

hey ya'll...not to provoke an argument here.....but we're trying to make an recommendation without even knowing the guy's skill level or what he even is looking for a bike for:smirk:

maybe he'll jump in here & offer up some more info:thumbsup:

hey, don't get me wrong, I like the older TE610's but believe that depending on what it will be used for and how it will be ridden, I strongly believe that there are many more and many choices available.

sure....at 2500 bucks...it's prolly a deal, and great deals are hard to pass up.

...but just buying a bike like a HUSKY 610 JUST BECAUSE it is a great deal is the wrong reason to buy a bike like a HUSKY 610.

This is a special machine that deserves a special rider......not a guy that goes on an internet forum and asks others what kind of bike this is.

Really, think about it, I am correct here............but I really do like the bike:thumbsup:

...and yes, I have also owned 5 different HUSKY's along my many years of riding.

and yes Mr. JoePass....you an call me beemer, or you can call me tommy, but I am not a "dude":p

...but you can bring your older 610 along and we can go for a nice ride with my "boring" DR650...you'll definitely change your mind, that is if you can keep up:banana:

oh, that's right....you too have chosen to buy the newer version!!

Hmmmmm....interesting comments by REAL HUSKY PEOPLE:eek:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=616629&highlight=1998+te610

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=729516&highlight=1998+te610

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716198&highlight=1998+te610

you might want to also check in the advrider.com site....they have a big HUSKY Forum there and many have detailed experience with the 610 bikes, both new AND old:thumbsup:

hey ya'll...not to provoke an argument here.......

you an call me beemer, or you can call me tommy, but I am not a "dude":

Well missy... it certainly seems like it!

:)

Well missy... it certainly seems like it!

:)

ahhhh.....I just realized that this is "The Husky 4-Stroke Forum"

.......no wonder that I have been attacked so vigorously:bonk:

HEY....hows a'come none of ya'll bashing on me no-longer have listed in yr garage those mid-90s HUSKY 4-strokes???

however, if you do go back and look at my posts, I really do have a lot of love for the older Husky Bikes.....really, just re-read it

yes, they do have their quirks (just like me:smirk: ) but they are neat non-the-less

BUT

does he really NEED A 1998 HUSKY is the real question here:ride:

Hey DRZn........how about some pics of that new 2009 HUSKY in your sig line???

I recently picked up a 99 TE610 (not the E) for an economical supermoto project. Parts can be a little hard to find, but most of the wear items like sprockets, chains, etc are common enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

However, for some of the earlier bikes the available information and accuracy of the info has been somewhat limited. Specifically, the 99 model for me.

The beauty about these bikes for street use is the 6 speed gearbox that is very uncommon. The 610 models all had wide ratio transmissions to my knowledge, and it truly is a pleasure to ride on the pavement.

As somebody else mentioned, they lack the balance shaft so expect vibrations, but also know that the bikes are fairly lightweight as well.

Thanks for the replies guys. All of the information provided is helping me make a decision a lot. I'm pretty set on getting either a TE610 or KTM's new 690. Whatever I buy, I might buy it new.

I've got a lot of riding experience, mostly on the road. I've been riding for 7 years. I plan on doing a LOT more riding off road now, because I live off the map, but still need a freeway capable ride, because I have friends all over the country.

I don't know what "a guy that goes on an internet forum and asks others what kind of bike this is" is supposed to mean, but I don't spend time on the internet. You see my low post count? That's because I spend my time in the real world doing real world riding. I came here for advice because my real life friends don't ride off road and I know from experience that the bikes are very different. Don't want to spend 8k on a mistake.

Whatever bike I get, it's going to spend the next 3-10 years ridden every day. It will be my best friend and partner. An extension of myself. I don't want crap.

Thanks for the replies guys. All of the information provided is helping me make a decision a lot. I'm pretty set on getting either a TE610 or KTM's new 690. Whatever I buy, I might buy it new.

I've got a lot of riding experience, mostly on the road. I've been riding for 7 years. I plan on doing a LOT more riding off road now, because I live off the map, but still need a freeway capable ride, because I have friends all over the country.

I don't know what "a guy that goes on an internet forum and asks others what kind of bike this is" is supposed to mean, but I don't spend time on the internet. You see my low post count? That's because I spend my time in the real world doing real world riding. I came here for advice because my real life friends don't ride off road and I know from experience that the bikes are very different. Don't want to spend 8k on a mistake.

Whatever bike I get, it's going to spend the next 3-10 years ridden every day. It will be my best friend and partner. An extension of myself. I don't want crap.

sometimes people take over what could have been a good thread when their personal opinions are questioned or don't jive with majority- certainly the majority on the husky forum are pro-husky, but that's a given. Sorry if anyone offended you- some people "call others out" so to speak and can't wait long enough for a response while you are busy with other things... Its easy to mis-communicate in this form or misinterpret written word and such but-mostly everyone gets along fine though...

I am sure you will find the bike you want if you study on the particular bikes and you will love it. You sound like a passionate enthusiast- that's awesome!!!! Sounds like you know what you want and I think a current bike is always a safer bet if you can swing it.

Good luck and I hope you find thumpertalk more of an asset in the future- :)

DRZnXJnWI had some very good points.

My best attempt to sum up feelings on Husky - they make awesome bikes but tend to have less dealers, aftermarket parts availability, and OEM parts availability tends to be less reliable as well. It's a tradeoff but if you buy one in good condition and take care of it, it may not really matter. There isn't much on it that really needs upgrading, uncorking, etc, per se.

Finding a bike that is awesome offroad and on is difficult, but I think the Husky models do a pretty good job at offroad while providing a decent on-road platform as well, especially with the wide ratio transmission setup.

Anything that is old and hasn't been taken care of "can" be unreliable. However, if the machine is in good shape and has been cared for, you should have very good times riding it.

Some people seem to try to plant "seeds" in this forum about the other big bore bikes and "convert" those who have interests in husqvarna products (ie; page 1). Unlike those unnamed emotional persons, I think you should do whatever you want. go ahead and buy a klx/klr/drz. I'd still ride with you if you had a green scoot :banghead:

I do think the '98 610 would make you very happy in the long run :)

Good luck with the decision :banghead:

Tator

" but I am not a "dude":p"

Ok, sorry...would "dudette" be better? :)

hey joepass........take this Topes.gif

nice TE in yr garage, yellow/blue is my favorite combo:thumbsup:

happyriding

.............bandit.gif

Hey ratchetmaster,

Let us know how you make out...interested.

And also, take the time to fill out your profile...where you from?

Will the bike be on the east coast?

Dave

Hi Dave

the bike should be here in about a week and a half.

I am in the mountain west. Plenty of trails to ride . . .

I hope to join some friends this summer for a ride in Baja Mexico. They did the ride two years ago. I am hoping that I can work out my schedule and ride with them.

Wow man, I'm in the same boat you are. I just bought a te450 to ride the Baja....soon I hope.

I just have a bit more travel time to Baja than you....( Delaware).:thumbsup:

Hope the bike works for you and you enjoy Mexico. Tell us how it turns out.

dave