Sign in to follow this  

Running with the exhaust can off...?

Hey guys, I recently crashed and messed up my R exhuast can really bad. I was wondering if I can ride it with the can off until I a new one..?

Don't you have the stock can? You might need to rejet but you could put it back on and ride til you get your new one.

Hey guys, I recently crashed and messed up my R exhuast can really bad. I was wondering if I can ride it with the can off until I a new one..?

Go for it. Just don't be suprised if your neighbors are waiting for you when you get back with torches and pitchforks.

But seriously - how bad could the original silencer be? Just bash it back into shape with a sledgehammer - has to be better than nothing.

JayC

The original silencer as in the 250X can? I really was trying not to put that back on because I really do not want to have to re jet. The way my exhaust is now... (my destroyed 250R can) there is about a 3 inch hole on the inside of it where the tire has been rubbing... and most of the exhaust packing shot out. Also on the outside (where the shroud attatched) is all banged in and destroyed...

Yeah, I never had my baffle in to begin with lol. I don't even know where that thing is.

The original silencer as in the 250X can? I really was trying not to put that back on because I really do not want to have to re jet. The way my exhaust is now... (my destroyed 250R can) there is about a 3 inch hole on the inside of it where the tire has been rubbing... and most of the exhaust packing shot out. Also on the outside (where the shroud attatched) is all banged in and destroyed...

You won't have to re-jet. An exhaust change might require (at most) one size difference on the main. Even if you end up a hair rich, who cares - and it's definately way better than running w/o a silencer. If you're worried that your bike won't be loud enough, take out the stock baffle and you'll be right up there with the R exhaust.

JayC

Lol I know about the baffle, I never had it in when I had the X exhuast on. It definately isn't as beastly sounding as the R exhaust.

it would prolly run horrible with no silencer because you need back pressure to make torque it would be a dog out of the hole and sound like s@#t!

it would prolly run horrible with no silencer because you need back pressure to make torque it would be a dog out of the hole and sound like s@#t!

I rode my XR400 up the street once without any muffler (or seat or subframe) with just the exhaust headers installed. It really didn't feel different powerwize, but it sure was L*O*U*D!

Made me feel cool, like a Harley guy :)

JayC

Alright, I will give that a try. Kinda thought it'd be cool for a bit to run with the can off. lol
YEAH O 4 ORSUM...Can you then stick your address on here so when another riding area gets shut down we can send round the heavies to place your exhuast up your exhuast.....:thumbsup:

Lol I tried it today, I get as far as starting it and cracking the throttle half way and then shut it off and said screw that! OMG it was LOUD!!!! You could hear the valves in the dancing around.