Sign in to follow this  

what 2 stroke is the best?

Im going to be getting a250 2 stroke and wondering what kind i should get?

Im gong to be dune riding which i know they do amazing out there. I was wondering how they do trail riding and single track in the moutains?

My Yamaha buddies might flame me for this, but KTM and Beta (Beta uses KTM engines) , or a off road TM, are really the only off the shelf ready to rock off road 2 stroke bikes available new now. KTM even has electric start

That said --- the YZ 250 is an extremely versatile bike. They come stock with motocross trim, therefore have a closer ratio transmission, no lighting coil (if you need one), 19" rear wheel and moto oriented suspension settings, plus they need a spark arrestor.

That said, i trail ride a stock YZ 250 with the compression damping backed off and a little more sag dialed in for a more comfortable ride. The 19" rear wheel is a non issue for me (except i have been wanting to try a trials tire, and they are hard to get in 19") , but having an extra gear would be nice in the wide open spaces (or i could just re-gear what i have) = but on single track, the close tranny ratio might even be a good thing

When i'm done, i just put the suspension settings back and i'm ready to hit the MX track again

Another thing to consider, KTM's are usually going to be more expensive than a yamaha, new or used. If you went new, Yamaha's recomended msrp is ~$6599. Ktm, ~$7898. The money you save could be put towards setting the yz up for offroad. I would also check out the Husqvarna wr250/wr300, they seem like a fairly good deal. If you're going used, you might check out the rm250 as well. A yz250 can be built into a great offroad weapon. I ride a yz with revalve suspension, flywheel weight, FMF fatty with a Q silencer, and a scotts damper. Honestly, I think it's just as good, if not better than ktm offroad. Either way, yamaha or ktm are ging to be great bikes.

what do you think about the cr250 and the kx250? are they any good for trails anmd moutain riding?

The CR needs some work to get some low end power (JD jet kit, gearing change, FMF Gnarly, etc.). However, handling and suspension along with build quality is superb. The 05+ KX250 rips and is good for mtn. work but the 2003 I owned felt small to me (6'2"). I believe ergos and layout hadn't changed between the 03 and 07 but I dunno. With my YZ setup (triple clamp that moves bars fwd, bar risers, and a tall seat) many other bikes feel like mini bikes to me now. :)

If you Do Not like modding or molding a bike to suit what you want and have lots of money sitting around go buy a KTM. Even then you may need to mod the suspension or want to tune the motor for you.

what do you think about the cr250 and the kx250? are they any good for trails anmd moutain riding?

Since they are not on the market anymore, any KX or CR is going to be a couple of years old, but yes, the same things that can be done to a YZ can be done to one of these. If i wanted to stay Japanese, but for some reason did not want a Yamaha, a Suzuki would be a better choice than the KX or CR though. Awesome handling

I myself ride blue because they continue to support the 2 stroke cause and i think the YZ has excellent off road manners (stability, reliability, smooth power) stock, for an off road machine.

If Yamaha drops out, i will continue to ride blue by buying a TM. Better power than any of them, but a little tougher to get parts

I rode 04 CR250R for four years mostly hare scrambles. Need flywheel weight and pipe. On a YZ250 now it has a much more flexable power seems to pull fairly low for a two stroke with massive hit up top. In the more open events it mauls the KTM XC two strokes corner to corner but not near as forgiving in the tight stuff. Took me awhile to feel comfortable on the YZ to me it always wanted to loop when it left the ground just took some getting use to. I really like mine now though.

Another thing to consider, KTM's are usually going to be more expensive than a yamaha, new or used. If you went new, Yamaha's recomended msrp is ~$6599. Ktm, ~$7898.

Not really sensible to compare a stripped down mx-bike to a fully equipped offroad bike (lights, odometer, kickstand, large tank, etc...)

msrp on a ktm 250sx is only slightly more than the yamaha.

IMHO, all of the 250 2strokes are great bikes, but there are subtle diffs in fit or ergos or handling that may have a slight affect on you. I find the late model kx's fit me pretty well with no mods (i'm 6'2") whereas on a ktm I need a tall seat. Suzuki's are reputed to turn really well, yamaha's are reputed to be stable at speed, kawi kinda in-between. I would see what I could find at a good price and in good condition. I got a brand new leftover 07 kx in november for $4800 including tax and everything. I've seen 08 250sx's advertised for pretty good prices too.

Note that any good rider on ANY of these bikes will destroy any average rider on any of these bikes.

well I don't know why you have left out the best two stroke and that is the husky they have incredible eng and the chassis are great oh ya wide trannies too.fast and very torquey and the suspension is way better then the ktm (as I own both )and the husky is better every where ,just my opinion hope this helps