Sign in to follow this  

Resistor in Spark Plug Cap

I have a 1987 TW200 with what was diagnosed as a bad resistor in the spark plug cap. The bike would idle rough and soon as you gave it any gas it would fall all over itself. A friend used his fancy electrical gizmo and found the problem. We removed the resistor and put in 2 pieces of coat hanger wire cut to same length. Bike started right up and went through the rpm's no problem.

That was a copule of months ago. Bike was not ridden. Thought the problem was solved so put bike away until this Sunday. Went to Cal City with the family and the wife was going to ride it to the Husky. Good plan, bad execution. Started bike up and it did it again. Didn't have any spare wire so my wife rode a quad. Got home and put wire in place of the resistor and bike fired up and ran through the rpm's once again.

Question:

1) Any idea what would be causing this?

2) Is it ok to just leave the wire in there and forget about it?

3) Could anything happen down the road without the resistor (maybe to the CDI)?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Ken

if you look at the XR 250/400 forum there is alot about doing this. only thing anyone can really come up with (atleast since the last time i looked) is it's so radio's work around it. Anyway, the general idea there is get a stainless bolt and cut it to be the same size as the resistor. Some say it makes the bike faster, others say there is no diff.

Thanks for your replys.:) I was talking to a service mgr at a local dealer and he expressed concerns about damage to the CDI. Of course he wanted to spend a couple hours trying to detect the cause....

if you look at the XR 250/400 forum there is alot about doing this. only thing anyone can really come up with (atleast since the last time i looked) is it's so radio's work around it. Anyway, the general idea there is get a stainless bolt and cut it to be the same size as the resistor. Some say it makes the bike faster, others say there is no diff.

Yes, many have done this on their XR400. I put a bolt in place of mine and my bikes seems to start easier. I have had it in for 2 years with no negative effects.